Need Help For My 5 Year Old Daughters Birthday Cake

Decorating By bitrswt Updated 21 Apr 2010 , 4:08pm by Manotas

bitrswt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bitrswt Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 10

She likes I Carly and of course Princess themed things. I am new at this whole cake thing. So I need something that is easy but looks great!!! Please help me.

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 10

The best (and easiest) thing to do with that age (IMO) is to find about 5 or 6 different cakes that YOU feel confident you can pull of and that you think she'd LOVE and save or print them and then let her pick from them!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #3 of 10

What about a Barbie/princess dress cake? I'm doing one for my 3 yr old daughter who LUVS princesses. You can buy the kit with instructions. Or a castle? I recently made one for my friend's 4 yr old. You can also buy a Wilton kit for that. These cakes can be as simple or complex as you want them to be.
If you have a Michael's near you, then you can get both for 40% off. There are also lots of great ideas here in the galleries and wonderful cc'ers to ask for advice! Good luck! Please post when you're done...

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 10

I've only decorated three cakes so far, my almost 8 year old daughter's being the third. I let her design everything: type of cake, type of filling, design (cookie cutter outline of flowers filled in with stars...thank you, Wilton!), and icing colors. She LOVED having so much control. She added some little Wall-E figures for fun. Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like Wall-E and flowers! icon_wink.gif

JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 10

I had made a cake for a little girl that was iced in pink & purple and I just put some play makeup, pretend high heels and a crown. She was so excited to have things to play with when the cake was eaten and it was easy on me too. hth

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #6 of 10

My five year wants Tinkerbell. There are lots of Tinkerbell cakes on this site and they are relatively simple. Just make the buttercream purple and pipe some green vines. Then throw a plastic Tinkerbell toy or the Wilton Tinkerbell candle on top. Maybe you could make a simple round cake like that and then some matching cupcakes to fancy it up a bit? I was also going to suggest the castle kit like the previous post said. Those look really cool, too.

Shan8789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shan8789 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:24am
post #7 of 10

I did a pretty simple 3 layer cake and put a small mirror on the top tier and sat a tinkerbell figure on top. I just piped around the mirror to make it look neat. The cake was pink with some green vines like suggested also and my niece loved it thumbs_up.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:57am
post #8 of 10
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #9 of 10

When it was time to start planning my son's 6th birthday cake, he said he wanted penguins. So we sat down one day and browsed penguin cakes in the galleries here on CC. He found one he couldn't live without and that I was comfortable making. So, long story short, my advice would be to browse the galleries with her.

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:08pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%