Does Anybody Have Any Experience Making Springerle Cookies?

Baking By Walls1971 Updated 23 Feb 2015 , 2:21am by Natka81

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 45

I think they are absolutely beautiful and would love to try them out. Does anyone have any experience with them and can offer any tips? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

44 replies
Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 45

The key is the dry time. You need to make the cookies and let them sit out to crust before baking. That way you don't loose yours design. The recipe is yummy too. Not too sugary! Good luck

Walls1971 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 45

Thanks! Is there one go-to recipe or do would any shortbread type of dough work? I found one website that has what they call a "perfect" recipe, but I was wondering about using different flavors.

Reimagining_Confections Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 45

The cutters usually have a recipe for typical Springerle cookies(which are good a bit airy though).

Yes a shortbread recipe works great(and I love shortbread). The key is letting them sit and crust(overnight is best, especially if the cutter is very detailed).

I also added oils(lemon, almond, brandy, walnut, etc.) to the basic Springerle recipe and it was great too. Post some pics when you get yours done. I love the Springerle cutters, but at $35-$45 bucks a pop, they get pricey!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 45
Quote:
Quote:

The key is letting them sit and crust(overnight is best, especially if the cutter is very detailed).

I just wanted to pop on and say, "Thanks!" for your tip with the detailing. I have some molds and cookie stamps and did not know this trick.

Much appreciated!

Walls1971 Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 45

I love the Springerle cutters, but at $35-$45 bucks a pop, they get pricey!

I know!! I couldn't believe the prices, but they are gorgeous. I found a rose (what I was looking for) on sale for $16.

Thanks for the help!

Reimagining_Confections Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 45

Hey is it the rose in the oval. I soooo want that one, but it is $35 before S&H (ugh). On my mothers day list it goes(for the third year- think the hubby will realize I really want it this time?).

$16 bucks is a great price. Enjoy and post some pics after you have used it!

Trish

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:27am
post #8 of 45

I have never made springerles but my grandmother always made them for Christmas. I remember that they had a very unusual spice taste to them. ( I think it was anise) She had two different wooden rollers with the different designs. I don't know who in the family got her rollers but I would have loved to had them. Brings back really lovely memories of grandma.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:58am
post #9 of 45

Anise is the traditional spice. Definitely, allow them to rest overnight. The design is then set in the hardened crust. I have never had cookie molds, but I have used small wooden butter molds and cut work on crystal glasses, anything with cut out design can be used to create an interesting pattern.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 10:45am
post #10 of 45

That is very good advice; never knew about the hardened crust. I have some cookie stamps i got a long time ago and put them away because they just never worked. I'll have to try them out again.

Reimagining_Confections Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 11:54am
post #11 of 45

You also don't want a cookie recipe with too much leavening. The rise is the demise of the design icon_lol.gif Not bad for 7am in the morning and no coffee yet! Happy baking.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:03am
post #12 of 45
Quote:
Quote:

The rise is the demise of the design Not bad for 7am in the morning and no coffee yet!

No caffeine and you are that poetic that early? Impressive! thumbs_up.gif

Walls1971 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 45

This might be a stupid question but how, exactly, do you say "springerle"? icon_surprised.gif I'd hate to have a conversation with a customer and sound dumb LOL I can sound dumb in front of you guys, though! icon_biggrin.gif

PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:58pm
post #14 of 45

It's pronounced very much the way it looks, including pronouncing the 'e' at the end: springer - lee (like the name or jeans, haha).

I laughed out loud when I first saw this thread because springerles are my dad's favorite cookie but growing up I hated them and no one else I ever met knew what they were.

Walls1971 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #15 of 45

Thank you Mseif! That was the way I was saying it but you can never be too sure! I don't personally don't think they are that popular - maybe because they look so difficult, but after really looking into them, they don't seem any more difficult than any other cookie (other than a drop) and they are just so beautiful!

I've never had one and I'm not a fan of anise flavor but I think I'm going to go the non-traditional way and try it with a shortbread. Thanks so much for all the advice!!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #16 of 45

I took a class given by the owner of house on a hill. Her recipe "Nini's Perfection Springerle cookies" is here:

http://www.houseonthehill.net/recipes/

Drying time on these is imperative for the design to set. Her molds are beautiful!

Melanie Mc.

Walls1971 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #17 of 45

It was her website that I was looking at when I decided I wanted to try these. . . that's cool that you actually attended one of her classes. Her molds are gorgeous.

How imperative is it to use the bakers ammonia instead of baking powder?

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:44pm
post #18 of 45

@eatdessert1st
Thank you for the link, it is wonderful and informative. Now I am so tempted to make these cookiese ASAP
If any of you ladies have made those, please let me know which flavor works best. Can we mix flavors, like lemon and almond?
I never had anise flavor so I do not know what to expect.

Reimagining_Confections Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:52pm
post #19 of 45

You can definitely mix any of the flavors(personal preference). I don't like anise either and never use it.

The ammonia is not necessary, sub for baking powder instead(but go lightly). House on the Hill is the recipes I use and I love their molds!!!!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:47pm
post #20 of 45

She gave samples at the class and the anise flavor was actually quite nice. (Anise is a licorice flavor) I'm not a big fan of anise but ended up really liking the flavor. It's very subtle. the reason for the Hartshorn:

" It is also called bakers' ammonia (ammonium carbonate). It is an ammonia compound and not harmful after baking. However, don't eat the raw dough. Your kitchen will stink of ammonia while the cookies bake - but once baked, the cookies will not taste of it.

"Can be substituted for equal amount of baking powder in any cookies recipe. It is an old-time leavening favored for cookies, such as German Springerle. It is said to give a "fluffiness" of texture baking powder can't. Its leavening is only activated by heat, not moisture (such as baking powder).

STORING: Not affected by age, but will evaporate it not kept in an airtight container."

Unlike baking powder or soda, Baker's Ammonia (ammonium carbonate) leaves no unpleasant alkaline off-flavor in baked goods. It is used for cookies, crackers and cream puff-type pastries, items which are small, thin or porous. It is not used for cakes or other large items because the ammonia gas cannot evaporate from these items. You will notice an odor of ammonia while baking, but this will quickly dissipate and the baked product will not have an odor or taste of ammonia.

Because Baker's Ammonia has a tendency to evaporate when exposed to air, it should be stored in a jar with a tight cover. It will not spoil, but will "disappear" if not stored properly.

BAKER'S AMMONIA (AMMONIUM CARBONATE): Don't confuse this with ordinary household ammonia, which is poisonous. A type of baking powder, it yields a very light, airy product, but can impart an ammonia flavor to baked goods. It's best used in cookies, which are flat enough to allow all of the ammonia odor to dissipate during cooking. Northern Europeans still use it because it makes their springerle and gingerbread cookies very light and crisp. Look for it in German or Scandinavian markets, drug stores, baking supply stores, or a mail order catalogue. It comes either as lumps or powder. If it isn't powdered, crush it into a very fine powder with a mortar & pestle or a rolling pin.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:50pm
post #21 of 45

Agreed, House on the Hill has the best cookie molds in the universe and some really great recipes too! icon_biggrin.gif

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:04pm
post #22 of 45

icon_redface.gif I have lived such a sheltered life! I have never heard of a springerle cookie...I'll add this to my list of things to try! (Like a cake covered in fondant!)

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:14pm
post #23 of 45

You know, you don't have to make Springerle cookies with the anise flavor. That is the traditional flavor, granted, but they're very good in Vanilla, lemon and orange flavors too.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 10:23pm
post #24 of 45

The recipe from House on the Hill is a sound one and very similar to if larger than the one I use. I like the flavor of anise in cookies. I actually put a small amount of anise oil in my dough- 1/8 of a teaspoon as well as laying them out on anise seeds. However, if your really don't care for anise, fruit flavored - orange or lemon are the usual choices. Although I would be tempted by hazelnut. If you are interested, just try the recipe. They are a good cookie cookie and if you don't have molds just improvise. It is amazing the number of kitchen gagets I have pressed into the dough to get interesting designs.

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 4:47am
post #25 of 45

I have ordered from House on the Hill, and also Springerle Joy.  Both have excellent recipies and molds.  Just rolled out my second batch, the first I flavored vanilla, and this second batch I am using almond.  I don't think I would like the anise either.  In the vanilla batch, I also grated orange peel.  I think next time I need to add more vanilla.  I started out with 2 molds, and now I have 6 and 3 more on order.  Like most cake decorating toys, it becomes addictive!  Oh, I must tell you, both companies are very helpful in answering any questions you may have.  They both have video on You Tube.  Check it out, and good luck.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 12:55am
post #26 of 45

I recently bought a beautiful hand carved cookie mold, and here is one of the cookies I made for Easter.  I flavored mine with orange oil instead of anise, and they were delicious!

Liz

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 3:29pm
post #27 of 45

AI have the same mold, and it surely is beautiful. I love making Springerle cookies, the designs are fantastic.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 4 Apr 2013 , 6:04pm
post #28 of 45

Yes, the man that carved this one has so many beautiful designs.  I am getting ready to order some more, because I just love his work.  I have some of the resin ones, too, but I really love the hand carved wooden molds.

Liz

P.S.  And I love the taste and texture of the Springerle cookies, too, so another reason to make them. :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 10:30pm
post #29 of 45

Springerle cookies:  Just tried them for the first time and they came out with good detail from the molds that I found.  However there are so many different types of recipes and different methods for making them. Do any of you cookie makers here make these?  I found the cookie to be rather bland and chewy, they really did look much better than they tasted.  Perhaps I just have too much of a taste for Butter & Super sweet Sugar.

Springerle Traditional cookies

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 1:11am
post #30 of 45

Sounds like this is an unusual type of cookie, my third batch came out much better - tasted better, had a better texture, puffed up and created the 'foote' like is described in the directions.  The details from the mold remained sharp while developing the 'cake like' inside texture, worked out this time.  I'm still crossing my fingers that some one on cc will know these cookies and have some thoughts.

Springerle Cookies rose

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%