Not Baker- Kid Wants Soccer Ball Cake For Birthday Party

Decorating By kittie313 Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 1:39pm by Rosa2745

kittie313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittie313 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 12

HELP! I literally am one of those who takes a mix from the store, makes it to package directions in my glass pan, then smears canned icing on it still in pan and throws some sprinkles on it. Then my oldest girl turned 7 yesterday. We are having her birthday party in a few weeks instead of this weekend because she specifically requested that I make her a soccer ball cake (she's a soccer nut) So, where do I start? I'm not exactly good with this baking thing............ I need a cake with a soccer ball for her birthday, and I am lost where to begin. I'm just confused after googling the last couple hours.

~Cat

11 replies
jjaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjaj Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:54pm
post #2 of 12

you could get the wilton ball pan set, and use their directions to do a soccer ball, if you wanted it to be 3D.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 12

Wilton also makes a 2D soccer ball pan which is also easy to do!!These pans can be purchased at Michael's or Hobby Loby or Joanns.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 12

You can buy the Wilton Soccer Ball Pan at your local craft store. They come with fool-proof directions on how to create them. If you have a Michael's or Joann nearby you can use one of their 40 or 50% off coupons and get the pan for $6 - $8.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30936A-475A-BAC0-51B9F670FA59452A

kittie313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittie313 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 12

They make pans just for this kind of stuff? Oh cool! I guess I should venture to that section of JoAnne's and look, I usually stick to the fabric bolts and sewing notions...................... Didn't even know they had other stuff in the store. Now what about the colors for the cake? She's *determined* that it has to be black and white, I've never seen black icing before.

Then once I figure out this cake, I'm going to take the time to actually learn to do this so that I can not be caught so off guard when she asks for some other crazy cake next year (or one of her 3 little sisters pulls a "mommy make me a special cake like you did for Missy!" because you KNOW its gonna happen)

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 12

They sell icing colors Wilton brand ...in the same aisle you will find the cakepans..You can actually make black icing or buy it ready made in a tube.

milly-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milly-mel Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 12

you can buy black food colouring and black fondant

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 12

When you use black food coloring, start out with chocolate icing. It'll make it much easier to achieve the black color.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 12

buy the tube frosting in black--- it is worth it to have a true BLACK!

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:31am
post #10 of 12
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:52am
post #11 of 12

I think the easiest way would be with fondant! Buy it pre-colored black and white...you use the pattern that comes with the pan to cut out little pieces and then put it together like a puzzle! So simple and it looks awesome. Then you don't have to worry about how smooth the buttercream is and you wouldn't have to buy any special icing tips (if you don't really plan on doing the cake thing too much!). Oh yeah, I just found a cake store in my area that you can rent any Wilton pan. Then you wouldn't even have to buy that!

Good luck!

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 12

I think I would attempt the black and white soccer ball. You could just put a thin layer of icing on the entire thing (half ball using wilton pan). Then using a toothpick or a scewer you could score the pattern on. Then with a star tip pipe the black stars, repeat with the white frosting. The star tip is VERY easy to do, anyone can do it. Then using the same star tip pipe some grass along the bottom and viola you have a cake. Way cheaper than buying premade colored fondant. Just my thoughts...good luck and have fun with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%