How Early Can I Start Decorating?

Decorating By xanikesmom Updated 15 Apr 2010 , 1:44am by Rylan

xanikesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xanikesmom Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:00am
post #1 of 3

I am doing my first purse cake this Friday. I am doing 2- 8 inch rounds, cutting the tops and bottoms off so they are flat, and then standing them up. The cake is for a co-worker's sister, so I am taking it to work on Friday with me for the party Friday night. My question - for some reason I am nervous that the cakes won't stand up properly or will peel apart, etc. Would it be too early to cut, fill and ice the cake tonight and let it stand for 24 hours - then do the fondant work and decorating tomorrow night to be ready for Friday when I take it to work? I want to give myself enough time so that if it doesn't work, I can figure something else out. I already have the gumpaste handle drying and some of the other decor items done.

I'm sure this type of question has been asked a million times, but I appreciate any responses I can get. I'm on new turf with the purse cake and want to make sure it turns out great! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
hazelhuney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelhuney Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:02am
post #2 of 3

I always make my cakes a day or 2ahead, I fill it, carve it and plastic wrap it very well then keep it in the fridge untill im ready 2ice it & do the fondant. I never had a problem this way.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #3 of 3

I, too, usually decorate a day or two ahead. If I am using fresh fruit fillings, I decorate earlier than that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%