Yet Another Twist To The Cricut/cricut Cake Story...

Decorating By PinkZiab Updated 4 May 2010 , 12:13am by Bugaboo_Bakery

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 205

Forgive me if this is already come up, but I haven't seen it yet.

The content of all of Cricut cartridges (pre-cake, and now the cake-specific cartridge that is packaged with the cake model, as well as forthcoming cake-specific carts) is copyrighted by Cricut, which means that profiting from cricut-created products using copyrighted cartridge content is, indeed, a copyright violation.

Cricut will be offering "Professional Licensing" for their cake cartridges, for professionals who wish to use their cricut cake (and the cartridge contents) in a for-profit business. The Professional license will be charged per-cartridge, in addition to the purchase of the cartridge, and it's not yet clear whether they will offer this licensing on their standard Cricut cartridges or only for the cake-specific line.

Now, obviously, for those of us that use SCAL and similar programs, it's not an issue, as we are creating our own content. But I just thought I would put it out there for discussion.

204 replies
CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 205

Thats totally true and its only fair if you really think about it. Business is business people. I cant say that if I had created the cricut cake that I would not do it. I would so why cant they.

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 205

So, I am wondering if they are going to sell the Disney Cartridge to people with the Cake version.... if so, does purchasing that license buy you the rights to use what is on it?

PinkZiab Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 205

Oh I'm not saying they are wrong--they own the content of the cartridges--it's just the same as Wilton character pans. These things have been sold for personal use, and not licensed to the buyer for profit. I just wanted to put the information out there for those who are looking to integrate this into their business.

I own a Cricut Expression (I'm a scrapbooker going way back) and I have and do use it for cakes, but it's by no means the bulk of my decorating, and since I mainly use SCAL to create custom content, it's not an issue for me anyway.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 205

Marci, the only cartridges that will have the license are the cake ones. as of now at least. I doubt Disney will sell/give the license for their cartridges to be used commercially.

My only problem with this is that the professional licnse thing came up AFTER they brought out the cricut Cake on HSN. AND the lady on HSN kept talking about how if you sold a cake for $800 then you get twice the cost of the machine on just one cake you sold.

I understand that business is business, but don't say one thing today and another tomorrow- be consistent. It doesn't bother me since I, as is PinkZiab, am a scrapbooker so I have the expressions and I don't sell my cakes so is a moot point for me.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 205

is there a tutorial thread on SCAL?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 205

Well, frankly since they are marketing this machine and these cartridges to business's they should be including the professional license with the cake carts. and it could be done easily enough by just making those carts more expensive.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

is there a tutorial thread on SCAL?

There are a couple of groups on yahoo groups that are devoted to SCAL beginners, you can sign up for them at yahoo.

Meowcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meowcakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 205

I agree with Roseicast and Peg818. Provocast stressed how you could get paid with just the selling of a cake and never once mentioned that you also need to buy a license. not only do they have misleading marketing, they were a insulting to those that decorate as a business. "Make this $800 wedding cake for next to nothing". Yeah, I'ld like to see that one.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 205
Quote:
Quote:

Well, frankly since they are marketing this machine and these cartridges to business's they should be including the professional license with the cake carts. and it could be done easily enough by just making those carts more expensive.

Totally agree! Why not include this in the overall price? I'm definitely ordering SCAL. I would rather use personal designs rather then standard designs that come on the cartridges.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 205

I only do cakes as a hobby. But this just irritates me. I will probably not buy one now. You always want that option. I thought it was insulting how they said anyone could do this. Just go by a plain cake and then decorate it yourself.

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 205

forgive my ignorance but what is SCAL, I ordered the cricut cake and I dont want to get in trouble by using it, so I appreciate if you tell me what this is.

PinkZiab Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 205

It's a program called Sure Cuts A Lot, and it allows you to hook your Cricut up to your computer and cut out just about ANYTHING on your cricut, without being limited by cartridges (you must have ONE cartridge installed in the machine for it to operate, doesn't matter which one). With programs like this (there is another called Make the Cut, also, I believe) you can get free fonts from all over the net, as well as create custom graphics to cut with the Cricut machine.

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:49pm
post #14 of 205

Thanks for the info its a relief that we dont have to relay on them because I really think that its not right that they did not told us all the things that were involved with the cartridges and the license, But thank you.

pastryqueen9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryqueen9 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 205

Question (coyishly raising my hand) it's ok to cut fondant/GP/etc on the cricut expession...I mean is it food safe? If the answer is yes the why invest in the cricut cake??? Forgive my ignorance I don't own either and my knowledge is limited in this area. icon_redface.gif

hockeymomnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeymomnh Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:21pm
post #16 of 205

What I don't understand is why are the designs on the cartridges any different than using a cookie cutter, or any other stencil to decorate with. If they are not copyrighted characters why would you need a license to use them.

I really don't think Provocraft really thought this through before they started selling.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:31pm
post #17 of 205

Well I think the major selling point for the Cricut Cake is it can cut meat so hooray for that!
I always wanted to cut my bologna into a fancy fluer di lis, makes me feel not so poor.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:39pm
post #18 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Well I think the major selling point for the Cricut Cake is it can cut meat so hooray for that!
I always wanted to cut my bologna into a fancy fluer di lis, makes me feel not so poor.

You've got to be kidding! You mean I can take all that possum jerky I made from roadkill and make it up into fancy shapes? I'll be stylin' !

You're serious about them saying that it can cut meat, though? And that's a selling feature? icon_confused.gif I missed the tv debut, so I don't know what they were saying to sell it, other than what I've read here. That's too funny!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:41pm
post #19 of 205

Okay I don't own a Cricut (it's on my wish list)
but am I understanding this correctly?

If I use the Cricut (either the Expressions or the Cake one) and I put accents on my cake then I cannot sell the cake because I would be in violation of the copywrite? icon_confused.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:43pm
post #20 of 205

LOL CakeMommyTX! Too funny!

It sounds like they didn't think of this until after the fact. I would think that if they are targeting businesses then the license would be built into the price- the stupid things cost enough.

I keep looking for a used cricut online because I surely can't afford a $300 toy for this hobby. What about the people who use the content of those cartridges for selling cards and stationery or the vinyl decals? Do they have to pay a license fee?

CakeMommyTX Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:44pm
post #21 of 205

Yes she specifically said meat and my first thought was that's sanitary, even if it's cooked lunch meat how do you get the inside completely clean?
I bout fell off the couch when she says it cuts cheese!
I had a visual of little gum paste farts coming out the back of the machine !

CakeMommyTX Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:46pm
post #22 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

If I use the Cricut (either the Expressions or the Cake one) and I put accents on my cake then I cannot sell the cake because I would be in violation of the copywrite? icon_confused.gif

If those images come from a copyrighted cartridge then yes, but if you have a cutting program (SCAL or MTC) and you create your own svg files for cutting then you are in the clear.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:53pm
post #23 of 205

Okay, I ordered the cricut cake bundle from HSN... And I'm really not sure what all images are on the cartridges...but seriously... how can you copyright a diamond shape, or a heart, or a flower? These are all images I could cut with my plain ole cookie cutter....

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 9:58pm
post #24 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Okay, I ordered the cricut cake bundle from HSN... And I'm really not sure what all images are on the cartridges...but seriously... how can you copyright a diamond shape, or a heart, or a flower? These are all images I could cut with my plain ole cookie cutter....

That's similar to what I was going to ask - I mean, where does it stop? Do we need a license to use a stencil to air brush a leaf? Use a cut out shape from a cookie cutter? These are are "images" designed by someone. How in the world is this in any way different?
I can understand "licensed characters" being illegal. That totally makes sense to me. But shapes????

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:03pm
post #25 of 205

From what I saw on HSC last night, the shapes and designs offered are basic public domain type stuff and cannot be copy writed. I may be wrong but I dont think this will happen.

I know it would be different if you were doing disney or pixar stuff.... then there is a whole world of crap and in that case I would not bother buying the machine myself.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:03pm
post #26 of 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Yes she specifically said meat and my first thought was that's sanitary, even if it's cooked lunch meat how do you get the inside completely clean?

I bought fell off the couch when she says it cuts cheese!
I had a visual of little gum paste farts coming out the back of the machine !

That is a visual that will stick in my mind now!! Just a note: On Ebay I found someone who published some guidelines on tha Cake versus the Expression. It was only $6 and had a lot of info on it

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:17pm
post #27 of 205

I found this on another forum post..... yes they can indeed do this and are going to.... I am in disbelief..... check it out....

http://www.cricut.com/shop/#3/71/0/2/CricutCake/

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:27pm
post #28 of 205

What is HSN's return policy? They are going to be getting a lot of them...

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #29 of 205

All I can say is.... What the h### is next?????
I mean come on, enough is enough!!!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 10:57pm
post #30 of 205

I agree.. who the heck can copyright a heart, diamond, scroll??? I understand characters but not something that is in a shape that you can buy a cutter for! I am starting to re-think even purchasing it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%