How To Make Black Fondant Shiny?

Decorating By goldenchld Updated 18 Apr 2010 , 9:24am by snowshoe1

goldenchld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenchld Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a baby grand piano and am using black fondant. How do I make the fondant look shiny like a piano without making it slimy and hard to work with? I don't want it to be mushy and fall apart.

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 8

steam it *lightly*.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 8

The best way is to color it black and then once it's all fondanted (not sure if that's a REAL word lol) airbrush it with black......airbrush paint dries very shiny!

btsmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btsmama Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 8

I spray mine lightly with pam non stick cooking spray. I read it somewhere and tried it, loved it!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 4:38am
post #5 of 8

I also use Pam... works like a charm! And last longer than steaming.

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 11:52am
post #6 of 8

I would start by using black fondant (SatinIce). Coloring to get that really dark black color will change the texture of the fondant. But to get it shiny...I vote for the steaming method...never have tried the Pam...guess I know what to do with today's scraps!!!

sharlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlanet Posted 17 Apr 2010 , 5:38am
post #7 of 8

I used 1/2 vodka & corn syrup mixture. I was too worried that steaming it would make it soggy & soft. It took about 30 minutes to an hour, but dried to the touch and stayed shiny. I've tried a steamer before but after a while, it wasn't shiny anymore. The vodka/corn syrup worked really well for me.

Look in my album and there's a pic of my piano cake- maybe you can get an idea of the "shiny-ness". icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 9:24am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlanet

I used 1/2 vodka & corn syrup mixture.

First I've heard of this - do you paint it on and any issues with brush marks? Do you simply mix the two together? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Steaming has never kept my fondant shiny - but works wonders for removing cornstarch and PS marks. I have used the PAM method, but be cautious with this. The first time I used it, I barely touched the sprayer, it was way to much PAM and the cake looked greasy. For me, it works best if I lightly spray PAM on a Viva paper towel and apply to the cake with a very light hand. If anyone has better tips on applying PAM I'd love to hear them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%