Wedding Cake Design Help

Decorating By luv4cake Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm by JGMB

luv4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv4cake Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 18

I am doing a wedding cake in a few weeks that the bride supplied a picture of for me (attached). It is a pretty simple cake except for the piping work. It looks like it was done with ganache or some type of chocolate. Can anyone please help me with what to use for the piping and how to do it. I have never worked with chocolate before. Also, I was wondering how to make the ribbon stay on the cake - pushpins or royal icing? Something else? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

17 replies
Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 18

Hiya

Personally I'd use piped icing. I know it's hard to colour RI that dark but black fondant softened with a little water is great for piping. If the bride hasn't specifically asked for chocolate and she knew I was covering her cake in fondant, then I wouldn't think she'd expect anything different.

I use double sided tape to attach ribbon to my cakes but I know alot of people use a dot of royal icing, I think it's just personal preference.

Good luck with the cake, it's a lovely design. Can't wait to see a pic icon_smile.gif

Lyndsey xx

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 18

To me, that design work looks like fondant/gumpaste cut from a Cricut and not piping at all. Maybe?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 18

I would definitely say its piped...I wouldn't think chocolate though, just a dark chocolate icing.

VNatividad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VNatividad Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 18

Beautiful cake, good luck.

Lyndseyb52, I'll have to try the softened fondant for piping tip, sounds interesting!

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 18

If you want to try the softened fondant, add your water a teeny tiny bit at a time.

I only add what I can hold on my palette knife each time and blend that before adding more. At first you'll think nothing is happening then all of a sudden hey presto it's all smooth!

icon_smile.gif

luv4cake Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 18

Thank you everyone for your thoughts - the piped fondant is interesting. I will have to expiriment with that a little. If I can't get it, I will just use buttercream. I'll be sure to post a pic of my cake when it's done. icon_biggrin.gif

luv4cake Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 18

Thank you everyone for your thoughts - the piped fondant is interesting. I will have to expiriment with that a little. If I can't get it, I will just use buttercream. I'll be sure to post a pic of my cake when it's done. icon_biggrin.gif

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:42am
post #9 of 18

It looks like dehydrated frosting sheets(the ribbon does). They sell it at my cake supply store. You just place it on you cake and it stays, cutting and all.

luv4cake Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:12pm
post #10 of 18

Just wanted to thank everyone again and show you how the cake turned out. icon_biggrin.gif I ended up using satin ribbon with two sided tape and chocolate buttercream.
LL

DebbyJG Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 18

So pretty!
Where did you find double sided sticky tape that was safe for food? At cake supply stores? I've never looked for it, but I've been wondering about that too...

luv4cake Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 18

Thanks! I only used the tape on the ribbon where the two ends meet. I haven't found food safe tape either.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 18

looks better than the original to me!!! great job!

and no one mentioned this about the original pic, but why in the world did that caker leave the cake plates exposed?!?! another reason why i think yours looks so good icon_smile.gif

DebbyJG Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4cake

Thanks! I only used the tape on the ribbon where the two ends meet. I haven't found food safe tape either.

Ahhhh! That makes sense. icon_smile.gif I was trying to figure out a good way to put real ribbon around my squares, buttercreme only (no fondant) wedding cake for this weekend, but I ended up chickening out and just made the ribbon out of fondant. I was worried about rubbon digging into the edges of the cake. (Plus, I couldn't find an exact match for the ribbon color, so that was my excuse...haha..)

And I agree, I think your cake looks better than the original. Great job!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

and no one mentioned this about the original pic, but why in the world did that caker leave the cake plates exposed?!?! another reason why i think yours looks so good icon_smile.gif

I was just thinking the same thing!

Your version looks awesome!

luv4cake Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:38pm
post #16 of 18

Thank you so much for all the compliments. I was so nervous about making this cake!!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #17 of 18

Great Job! I love your finished cake.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 4:04pm
post #18 of 18

Gorgeous cake! Thanks for letting us see it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%