Cross Cake Servings Questions

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm by Melvira

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 9

Can someone please help me figure out how many servings I can get out this idea. Please forgive me for being mathematically challenged icon_smile.gif

I'm thinking of baking 2 13x9 cakes, one on top of the other and filled for a 4" tall cake. Then cutting the cakes length wise so that I have 2 4.5 x 13 pieces then cutting one of those again to make the "arms" of the cross.

How many servings do you think this would give me?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kelly

8 replies
Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 9

Approx 45 servings.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 9

Just know that you're going to lose a few servings when you cut the arms. you will probably only use half of that half. The long part of the cross will only be 13" so... if you cut the other 13" section in two and put half on either side of the long piece to make the arms, you would end up with that section being like 17.5" across and it would throw off your perspective. You'd have a top heavy cross. Am I making sense or just confusing you? Hahah. icon_confused.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 9

I will throw this in...

The typical wedding size serving is approx 2" long x 1" wide x 4" tall. So the main section of the cake you would cut straight down the middle for 2 - 2.25" sections, then cut lengthwise into 13 1" pieces. This yields 26 servings from the main section. Then do the same to the arms, 2.25" x 1".

krm52200 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 9

[quote="Melvira"]I will throw this in...

The typical wedding size serving is approx 2" long x 1" wide x 4" tall. So the main section of the cake you would cut straight down the middle for 2 - 2.25" sections, then cut lengthwise into 13 1" pieces. This yields 26 servings from the main section. Then do the same to the arms, 2.25" x 1".[/quote

Thanks, Melvira. This exactly what I was thinking too. But the longer I sat with my ruler and calculator the more my head started to hurt so I thought I would throw the question out to the experts icon_smile.gif

And I also totally get what you were saying about the arms being longer than the main section. I had already taken that into consideration, I figure I will just work with it to make sure the perspective is right.

Thanks again for your help. I tried discussing it with my husband to get a second opinion but he just doesn't speak "cake" icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 9

Hahahaha! Bless his heart, I'm sure he'll 'speak cake' when you trim that extra off and need SOMETHING to do with it! thumbs_up.gif But you'll definitely want to cut just a little off at a time to get it to the right perspective. Best of luck!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 9

no cutting loss cross:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_585813.html

just 2 cuts and a bit of arranging and its done (well except for the all the decorating!)

krm52200 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #8 of 9

Doug you are truly awesome! That makes more sense than doing it my way icon_smile.gif

Thanks!

Melvira Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 9

Uh-oh... someone's husband is NOT going to like you Doug! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%