Store Bought Or Home Made??

Baking By DEANCROTALID Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm by DEANCROTALID

DEANCROTALID Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEANCROTALID Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hello, I am fairly new to the site, I was wondering if store bought or home made gum paste is better/easier to work with? any replies would be helpfull, And I just want to say that you ALL are sooooo AWESOME! and if home made is the better, a recipe would be most appreciated.
thanks

4 replies
l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 5

I have only used the CK gumpaste mix. took a little "tweaking" to get the right consistancy. I have pondered on even buying the wilton brand at the store just haven't yet. I mostly use MMF and don't use gumpaste much.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 5

I have used both CK and Wilton. I think that the key with the CK is to knead some extra PS in to get the right consistancy. I have also bought that premaid, but it is double the cost.

I have not attempted to make it. It is cheaper for me to buy the mixes than to buy all the ingredients.

Stephanie

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 5

I've used Wilton's gp mix and made my own using Nic Lodge's recipe. Wilton's works fine. Its a little expensive but the consistency is good. I prefer making my own though. It's cheaper (I find) and I can make larger batches. It also has a beautiful white color and great consistency. If you've never worked with gp before you should buy some premade (Wilton's is good for this) so you can learn what a good consistency is. Then you can dive into making your own. It's really easy!

DEANCROTALID Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEANCROTALID Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much! I think I will try the Wilton brand first....it seems like a good idea to see what the texture should be befor I attempt my own. Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%