Charging Friends/family For Cakes

Decorating By greenelixir Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 1:52am by Jenny0730

greenelixir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenelixir Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 11

I am new here, have not posted much. I have been requested by my best friend to make a cake/cakes for her husband and son. They are having a dual birthday party, beginning of May. She said she will pay for the cake, but I am at a loss as to what, if anything, to charge her!!! I made a cake for my sister recently, and she just reimbursed me for supplies. I am finding that to make a really, really nice cake, with fondant, etc., it does take a while. I have only recently discovered that I have a knack for cakes, so I haven't done very many. I have no idea what to do, and since we are so close with our friends, I almost feel bad accepting payment (except I know she will insist! LOL)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 11

Hi greenelixir! I live in a state that prohibits unlicensed bakers from accepting money for cakes. That includes money for supplies and ingredients. So I won't be much help to you. (Sorry.) However, I know that there are those out there who do, and I'm sure they will jump in to provide assistance. Just a note, they may ask you for more details about the kind of cake you will be doing (size, flavors, decorations, etc.), because all of that factors in. Good luck with your project! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 11

There are many of threads about pricing, I'd look around for them as they have some good information.

I'd also caution you about selling cakes out of your home since that is illegal in some areas.

That said, I only do cakes for friends and family. My rule, you ask me to do a cake, you pay for it. If I offer to do a cake, it is free.

Why do you feel bad taking money from them? (Debi where are you?) You will be using your time away from your life and your family to make them a cake, don't you deserve something for your time? You are also using ingredients that come out of your grocery budget, do you not deserve money to replace that so you can by food for you and your family?

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

My rule, you ask me to do a cake, you pay for it. If I offer to do a cake, it is free.

Yep icon_smile.gif

greenelixir Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 11

So far I am only doing cakes for friends and family, I am not advertising or anything, so I shouldn't have any legal problems......

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 11

Well if you get techinical you could have legal problems, it is just less likely your family will turn you in. icon_wink.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 11

Just to clarify, greenelixir, it doesn't have anything to do with advertising in my area. I just cannot take money (or other consideration) in exchange for a finished cake. I won't say any more about that here because I honestly and sincerelydon't want your topic to turn into a legal/illegal debate. I couldn't answer your initial question, but I thought to say if you provided more info about your cake idea, it would help others help you. Anyway.... Until I win the lottery and can get licensed, all of my goodies will have to be gifts! icon_biggrin.gif (Yes, some are quite expensive gifts, too! icon_wink.gif )

greenelixir Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 11

Well, then, I guess I have my answer. I won't charge, plain and simple.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 11

My dad and now I have and will always charge for cakes for friends and family. I do have one friend that I do her son's cake for free (my choice), because it is his birthday gift and she takes my two kids on vaction with her and refuses any money. Everyone else pays. All I can say is I guarantee you that my uncle who sells cars does not give me any special deals when I was buying a car, so why should I give him one. Will they give you special pricing the next time you go to their place of work....not likely. If they do then you could do the same. Just my two cents.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:29am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenelixir

Well, then, I guess I have my answer. I won't charge, plain and simple.

You don't say where you're from. You may not have any legal issues. In my area I can bake out of my home, I just have some specific guidelines (like nothing that has to be refridgerated, and some stuff has to be taxed etcc....)

So you may be able to charge without worries, it all depends on where you are.

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:52am
post #11 of 11

You could always give her an estimate of how much it cost you to make it and how long it took. If you are willing to do it for free, then anything she decides to give you as a thank you is a bonus.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%