Making Giant Cupcake Cake Pan Questions

Decorating By pattycakes55d Updated 29 May 2011 , 4:02pm by forthwife

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:14am
post #1 of 16

I'm going to use the giant cupcake pan for the first time and make the candy melts for the bottom liner. Does anyone know if I have to build up the lower part of the cupcake pan by adding more chocolate or should one coating be enough? How many bags of candy melts do you think I need?

Also, I want to change the candy melts from light pink to dark. Can I use the americolor or wilton gels?

I've heard to make the bottom and top of the cupcake separately. Are there any other things you think I should know? thanks so much for your help.

15 replies
kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 16

I actually just got done making mine for the first time last weekend and I am making another one for this weekend. You will need just one bag of candy melts and to make the color darker you have to use candy colors made to color candy, from what I have heard you can't use regular colors to color candy. So maybe add some red candy melts to it?

You will need to do two coats melt the candy pour about half in and then tilt the pan and spread it around with a rubber spatula then tap it on the counter to get rid of air bubbles, set it in the fridge for about 20 min. Then reheat the candy again to warm it up and then spread on your second coat and put into the fridge for 30 minutes then when set just flip it onto a rack and it will slide right out. I was amazed that I got it to work for me the first time!!

When baking the cake I have heard that you can use 4 inch pans and those fit perfectly into the shell. That way you could bake the top and the bottom at the same time. I didn't have 4 inch pans so I did bake them separately.

I prepare all my pans with cake release. Make sure and fill the bottom about 2/3 to 3/4 full and then fill the top of the cupcake almost to the top just leaving about an inch. I didn't know how full to fill my pans and learned that the hard way!

The bottom took almost an hour and the top took like 45 minutes, I also baked them at 325 degrees I thought that helped with even baking and to not get such a huge dome in the middle.

Once the cakes come out of the oven I take a clean towel and press on the top of the cake and level it out, you have to do this right when they come out of the oven and then you will not have to cut any off and waste any cake, I actually do this will all of my cake and haven't used a level in a long time!

If you bake the bottom in the cupcake pan you will have to trim it. I think I shaved off about 1/4 inch on all sides and that seemed right and then I just crumb coated it and set it into the shell. This time I am freezing it then trim and frost right away.

I didn't chill or freeze the cake and after I carved it it was really hard to frost the cake was so soft. I actually just baked my giant cupcake yesterday for an order for Saturday. I have them in the freezer and I will just have to grab them and decorate and then I won't feel so rushed.

I am also doing 240 standard cupcakes! to decorate the one in the picture I did a quick crumb coat and then I just did rosettes on the top with a star tip 21

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Rosette

after I was done doing that my buttercream was crusting so fast that I ended up spraying it will a little water to help make all of the sprinkles stick.

I then covered my cake board with coordinating wrapping paper and clear cellophane and then adheared the cupcake to the board with just a little more melted candy.

Make sure not the put to much the cake will be heavy at this point and the candy will smoosh out the sides. I also learned that the hard way. Also you will have to position the cake quickly that stuff sets up very fast. Once set that cake isn't going anywhere!!

I think I should have made a tutorial, lol! icon_smile.gif
HTH
Kiley
LL

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 16

nice job

superdupercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdupercakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 16

This is really cool! How would you cut and serve it?

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 16

cut and serve the top first and then use a warm knife to slice into the candy

superdupercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdupercakes Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks! I'll definitely have to try it.

pattycakes55d Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 4:35am
post #7 of 16

I didn't receive any message reply notifications so sorry.

thanks so much for your help. The week has just gotten away with me and I'm doing the giant cupcake tonight. I will do the bottom and top separately.

I only have 36 cupcakes for this Sunday but I'm sweating that. Not so much the actual task but the client is picking up the Giant cupcake and the cupcakes and the cupcake stand. I'm making the stand too. I have no idea how to package the cupcakes so I think what I'll do is get a cake box put in a non slip liner and put cupcakes in there and surround them with I have no idea what.

Your cupcakes look absolutely fabulous! I hope mine turns out half as well. Now I'm a little nervous about the chocolate mold. Cross your fingers for me.

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:16am
post #8 of 16

Just to make sure I am understanding, you made a shell of chocolate base and then put the crumb coated cake in the cadny shell/ I love that idea

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 3:44am
post #9 of 16

i made a giant cupcake last month and here are a couple of things i learned:
- handle the chocolate liner as little as possible (i ended up with more fingerprints than i wanted!!)
- i place the top side of the pan in a 6inch round pan of water. It ended up slowing down the cooking too much, maybe next time id take it out half way through so that both the top and the bottom could finish cooking at the same time.
-make sure to put enough cake release!!!

It ended up being easier than i thought it would be, especially the chocolate liner. I really couldn't understand how i would get the chocolate liner out of the pan, but just like everyone has said...it slides right out!!!

pattycakes55d Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 16

well I made the giant cupcake last weekend. While the chocolate liner was simple and came out easily, I found that my cake was quite dry. I baked the top/bottom separately and even turned down the oven a bit. I think next time I will do what some others are doing and that is bake a couple 4" cakes instead.

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:19am
post #11 of 16

I noticed the top and bottom dont bake well at all. A friend gave me her Williams Somoma pan so i did the top in one and the bottom in another. I am going to try the chcolate liner. Was a bear coving the bottem with fondant!

pattycakes55d Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #12 of 16

oh yeah. Fondant would be harder. The chocolate is quite easy actually. I just made sure to coat it quite thick the second time and right up to the rim. It came out like a charm.

sandy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy99 Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 16

do you put someything in the pan before chocolate as the cake release or nothing?

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:23pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy99

do you put someything in the pan before chocolate as the cake release or nothing?

If using candy melts or chocolate NO pan release is necessary. Let it firm up at room temp, then chill for 10 minutes in the freezer. It will pop right out. Make sure you have a towel or something for a soft landing so it doesn't shatter!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 29 May 2011 , 3:44pm
post #15 of 16

are there any tips for baking the top, to avoid it getting so dark and dry?

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 29 May 2011 , 4:02pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

are there any tips for baking the top, to avoid it getting so dark and dry?

When I made mine (check my photos) I baked 3 cakes to "fill" the chocolate liner. One 2" high 5" round. One 2" high 7" round and one 3" high cake baked in a quart size stainless steel batter bowl. Although I have the Wilton pan and use it as a chocolate mold, I would not bake with it as the cake would be over done and baked to death.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%