Fondant....do You Make Your Own?

Decorating By handsomepants Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 4:01pm by KHalstead

handsomepants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handsomepants Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:24am
post #1 of 35

I see a lot of decorators on here use MMF. I'm assuming that you made it. I'm just curious, do you prefer to make your own fondant (MMF or other) or purchase it RTU (Satin Ice, etc.) Is MMF easy to make? Is it easier to work with than the RTU fondants? How's the flavor? Please let me know. And PLEASE be detailed in your answers. I need all the help I can get!

34 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:31am
post #2 of 35

I make MMF , It is easy and everyone likes the way it tastes. Where I live the only RTU fondant available for purchase locally is Wilton and it Tastes Like CRAP!

I am not willing to pay the high shipping cost for Satin Ice or ChocoPan when MMF works great for me.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:00am
post #3 of 35

I like Michelle Foster's Fondant from this site. I add butter and almond flavouring which people seem to like. My KA mixer is large enough I can make a triple batch and freeze it in 2 lb. packages.
I have also used MF and it's okay.
I use Wilton Fondant for figure modelling, I don't like the taste but the consistency is perfect.

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:47am
post #4 of 35

Luckily, for me, I have a few places near me where I can get Satin Ice. I tried to do the MMF thing...ONCE. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!! It took longer for me to make the MMF than it does to go to the supply shop and pick up every color of Satin Ice I could possibly want, and it's ready to go. Satin Ice's taste is good. Everyone I have ever served it too loved it (even those who swore that they HATE fondant). I have absolutely nothing against those who do the MMF thing, but it's an extra process that I just don't see as being worth the time. If it is readily available to you, I (personally) recommend saving the time and effortand just use Satin Ice. You can even flavor it any way that you want, if you want to. If you would have to have it shipped and that would make the cost an issue, then why not try MMF and see if it's worth it to you? To each, his (or her) own. What works for you, works for you! icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:53am
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

I like Michelle Foster's Fondant from this site. I add butter and almond flavouring which people seem to like. My KA mixer is large enough I can make a triple batch and freeze it in 2 lb. packages.
I have also used MF and it's okay.
I use Wilton Fondant for figure modelling, I don't like the taste but the consistency is perfect.

Michele Foster's Fondant (white chocolate version) is hands down the winner for me icon_smile.gif

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 11:57am
post #6 of 35

I use both MMF and MFF, I mix them. I make two batches of Rhonda's Ultimate MMF and one batch of Michelle Fosters Fondant. While they are still warm, I knead the two together. I like the taste and mouth feel of MMF, and the pliability of MFF, so I get the best of both worlds. It makes about 10#. If I don't need that much, I use 1 batch of MMF and 1/2 batch of MFF.

I purchase dark colors of Satin Ice, just easier.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 35

I'm one of those who made MMF once. Never again. What a messy waste of time. I buy RTU, usually SatinIce, but I 've got a bucket of Fondex I'm gong to use this week. I also just don't like the look of MMF. It's got this subtle lumpiness and I can spot it every time on a cake. It's just not for me.

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 35

When I first started working with fondant I made MMF and it was a pain but I thought that was how fondant was. Then I tried Michelle Foster's Fondant and Loved it, that is all I use now. Much easier to work with.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 35

I hate making fondant - I'll do it if I have to, but it's really a pain in the butt. I buy Satin Ice most of the time. But I love Fondx.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 35

I make my own, no commercial fondant is available here. I use the MMF recipe from CC. It's easy, most people like it and it stores well.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 35

I make Michele Foster's fondant and love it. Once I tried MFF I swore I'd never make MMF again. MMF is such a pain. MFF is easy to make, tastes great, and is very nice to work with. If I need red or black I will use Satin Ice.

One of the things I like to do is keep a 2 lb bucket of Satin Ice in every color, and use a tiny bit of that to color my MFF (when I don't need a primary color). I find it's so much easier to color the fondant by adding a little pre-colored fondant to white than it is to do it with the gel colors.

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 35

I use Rhondas Ultimate MMF and I have had no problems with it being lumpy or anything like that. Is it an extra step and a messy process? yes! But I just cant justify spending so much on Satin Ice (which I have tried and love) plus shipping when MMF is so cheap to make and works just fine. And it tastes good too!
After reading this thread I think ill try mixing rhondas and michelles icon_smile.gif

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 35

I also use Michelle Fosters fondant.It is great!!!
I have tried making mmf and many others but they are not as good tasting or as easy to work with.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:09pm
post #14 of 35

Ok so I guess I am going to have to try MFF ... Any inside tips to it before I do.
I always make MMF but after reading what everyone has said I think I should at least try it. icon_smile.gif

hollylikescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollylikescake Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:12pm
post #15 of 35

I use to make MMF, but I hated cleaning up sticky everything. Yes, it is alot cheaper, but factor in the time it takes you to make it AND the time it takes you to clean up. I just dreaded running out and making more.

Also, I don't like the taste of marshmallows, so I never liked the taste of MMF.

Never tried MFF, so can't speak to that. I use Satin Ice.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 35

The only time it is worth making my own is the chocolate, I've had some success with that, otherwise I can get the Fondx for fairly cheap here in San Diego, and then I order the odd satin ice for dark colors.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 12:55am
post #17 of 35

LOVE Michele Foster's!!!!! Tried MMF a few times and wasn't thrilled with the pliablilty of it.

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:44am
post #18 of 35

MFF is definitely preferable to MMF. I started out with MMF and used it for a long time because I was nervous to try making fondant with all the unfamiliar ingredients...gelatin, glycerine etc. that MFF calls for. When I finally broke down and made it, I was hooked! I'll never go back to MMF. My favorite of all favorite fondants, (and I have tried them all), is Jennifer Dontz Chocolate Clay Fondant using Pettinice. It so amazingly beautiful and easy to work with and the taste is divine! It is super expensive, but worth every penny. I have not found anyplace in AZ that sells Pettinice, and shipping is out of the question...so I don't use it exclusively, but I would like to! I also keep all colors of satin Ice on hand when I need colored fondant. It is so much easier to mix colored fondant with white to get the color you need without changing the consistency.

Pep37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pep37 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #19 of 35

hello everyone... I'm new here and keep seeing the Michelle Foster Fondant (MMF??). What's this fondant everyone's raving about? Is there a recipe available to try?

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pep37 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:52pm
post #21 of 35

oh sorry i meant MFF (Michelle Foster Fondant) correct?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm
post #22 of 35

I always made my own until i sat down and did the math and realized it costs me more to make my own than it does to order Satin Ice and I don't have ANY of the mess or extra time involved with making it!

Pep37 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:02pm
post #23 of 35

7yyrt, thank you for the recipes and very quick response icon_biggrin.gif

Pep37 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:08pm
post #24 of 35

where do you usually order your satin ice from?

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:18pm
post #25 of 35

Globalsugarart.com. great prices and service.

handsomepants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handsomepants Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:40pm
post #26 of 35

I can get Satin Ice here at a local supply store, but their prices are more than GSA including shipping!

BTW, thanks for all the comments and votes. I may have to try MMF or MFF, but I really don't wNt to have to deal with the mess. We'll see.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 3:56pm
post #27 of 35

I buy Satin Ice for black and red and use Jennifer Dontz's fondant and Fondx. Sorry just not worth the time and effort and the mess to make my own.

Maluisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maluisa Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:10pm
post #28 of 35

i have a bucket of pettinice that i purchased from a local cake supply. last time i used it it was "difficult" in the sense that it would rip easily and it also showed stretch marks. how do any of you remedy this? i do agree that the taste is much better than wilton, but i have gotten so used to the consistency of wilton that im afraid to try anything else. my cakes and figures turn out satiny smooth with wilton. here in my neck of the woods the tables are turned as to the liking of fondant anyways. some love it and some hate it. its hard to find inbetweens. i must say that at the baby shower where i used pettinice, there wasw not a single piece of cake left on the plates, including the fondant, and i am the one that gathered the used up plates just to see the end result. has anyone tried mixing pettince with fondant just for flavor? im gonna try it soon just as practice, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #29 of 35

Try mixing it with white chocolate like jennifer dontz suggests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluisa

i have a bucket of pettinice that i purchased from a local cake supply. last time i used it it was "difficult" in the sense that it would rip easily and it also showed stretch marks. how do any of you remedy this? i do agree that the taste is much better than wilton, but i have gotten so used to the consistency of wilton that im afraid to try anything else. my cakes and figures turn out satiny smooth with wilton. here in my neck of the woods the tables are turned as to the liking of fondant anyways. some love it and some hate it. its hard to find inbetweens. i must say that at the baby shower where i used pettinice, there wasw not a single piece of cake left on the plates, including the fondant, and i am the one that gathered the used up plates just to see the end result. has anyone tried mixing pettince with fondant just for flavor? im gonna try it soon just as practice, but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:11pm
post #30 of 35

I tried Michelle Foster's for the first time a few weeks ago and am in love! Tastes great. The consistency is beautiful and it holds up really well. I made it almost a month ago and it isn't showing any signs of elephant skin.

What is the chocolate to Pettince ratio that Jennifer uses?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%