A New Record!

Business By CakeForte Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm by Lcubed82

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:10am
post #1 of 13

I had someone call me at 5 PM on Easter Sunday wanting a custom cake for a 50th birthday/ anniversary...don't remember which...for 11 AM the next day! icon_evil.gif

I didn't even finish listening to the message, I deleted it.
It's a good thing I wasn't by the phone, it would not have been pleasant.

And why do people think it's normal to have tastings on Saturdays? When do they think weddings are?

12 replies
CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:42am
post #2 of 13

Wow, that is pretty unrealistic. I think even the grocery store needs more notice than that for their 'custom' cakes. icon_confused.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

And why do people think it's normal to have tastings on Saturdays? When do they think weddings are?

Because most people work Mon-Fri and usually don't get off work until the same time most custom cake shops close, so Saturdays are the easiest days for them to show up for things like tastings. Most bosses don't look kindly on folks calling in so they can go have cake, and any leave the couple would have is most likely already booked up for the event and honeymoon.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 13

And that's why I do tastings after work hours. I NEVER do a tasting on a Saturday. Duh - I'm working.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 13

Yeah, I had a call late Friday from someone asking for an Easter cake for the next day. Actually I was quite polite when I told her I needed a little more notice. I was probably in a good mood because I knew that I was going skiing on Saturday instead of staying up all night to make her cake!

CeeTee LOVE your avatar!!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 13

I broke my record this past week, on Tuesday around 4:00pm two very young looking girls came to my shop asking about wedding cakes, I gave them all info about pricing, consultation etc.; one of them asked how one of my dummies cakes at the shop would go for, (this cake is covered in scrollwork, hand painted + 10-12 hand made sugar flower topper) I gave them an estimate of the price, when I asked the date of the wedding...are you guys ready...FRIDAY!

I smiled, and very carefully explained the amount of work involved in that specific design...they didn't get it, one of the girls was like 'we just want a three tier cake, simple...like this one', she was pointing a the same cake I told her it would take days and days to make and I was already busy with the cakes I had for the weekend, she pulled a piece of paper out of the pocket and said: 'we just need a 6"+10"+14"; I smiled and very nicely send them to Walmart.

Sooooo, the best part...On Thursday afternoon this other girl comes to the shop asking about wedding cakes, and point at the same dummy...I thought to myself 'this whole thing looks familiar', I asked the date of the wedding...she informes me the wedding is 'tomorrow' (Friday).

I told her I believed her friends came to see me on Tuesday aftnoon and I told them it was impossible for me to fit that size and type of cake on my schedule and It was impossible for me or anyone else to have that done in less than 24 hours, her reply " yes, they told me but I wanted to come by and make sure it was true".

I told her she should try Walmart and she said her friends tried on Tuesday and Walmart told them they couldn't make that size and the design she wanted.; she kept asking me "are you sure you can't do it?"; I finally looked at her and told her:" I looks like you are not having a cake for your wedding". icon_rolleyes.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:41am
post #6 of 13

But the back of my Duncan Hines box says ready in 35 minutes icon_wink.gif

I'm gonna give you THREE whole days! What? A schedule???? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:49am
post #7 of 13

Hahah this is funny last saturday 2 girls came to my house asking me for 50 cookies!!!!! they came around 8:30 in the morning and they wanted to pick them up.... Are you ready? The same day at 2:00 pm hahaaha I just told them imposible!!!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 13

I tell people tastings and consultations are done on Monday through Wed. that's it!! I'm busy thurs, fri, sat, and don't work on Sunday!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by misabel99

Hahah this is funny last saturday 2 girls came to my house asking me for 50 cookies!!!!! they came around 8:30 in the morning and they wanted to pick them up.... Are you ready? The same day at 2:00 pm hahaaha I just told them imposible!!!!!

I could do that.

If they want chocolate chip cookies. icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 13

Yup, broke my record this week too...co-worker of my mom's called last night saying she needed a wedding cake...For Saturday! I apologized, trying SO hard not to laugh, and said I was already booked up this week and wedding cakes take a minimum of 4 weeks notice. She sighed and said she thought that might be the case. BUT the upside is that she needs a baby shower cake for mid June and she said she'd make sure to call at least 4 weeks in advance so I may get an order out of it yet! But yeah, 3 days notice for a wedding cake...uhm...I'm thinking...NO

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 13

I've learned the hard way to NEVER take a last minute order, these are the clients who will pick on everything and would not appreciate the effort.

Less than 24hr notice on a three tier wedding cake is not short notice, it is a joke.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 13

I took an order for this past weekend for a 4 tiered wedding cake.........they ordered the cake 1 week in advance (even Wal-Mart told them they couldn't do it on such short notice)......I told them to pay in full asap and they did within 24 hrs. so i took the order........they loved the cake and didn't nit pick at all!! Normally I say UHUH.......but the poor bride had a baker cancel on her the week before the wedding (she booked almost a year in advance) baker went out of business!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I took an order for this past weekend for a 4 tiered wedding cake.........they ordered the cake 1 week in advance (even Wal-Mart told them they couldn't do it on such short notice)......I told them to pay in full asap and they did within 24 hrs. so i took the order........they loved the cake and didn't nit pick at all!! Normally I say UHUH.......but the poor bride had a baker cancel on her the week before the wedding (she booked almost a year in advance) baker went out of business!

Now this bride showed that she wasn't scatterbrained, but a victim! I would have bent around many times to help someone in this position, if there was any way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%