Baked Goods On Plane - Is It Ok?

Decorating By meredith1851 Updated 11 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm by Irish_Sue

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 9

Is it ok to take baked cookies in a tauperware container on a flight or do they need to be individually wrapped?

8 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 9

I don't see why not! I think they only limit liquids. The best thing to do is call the airline and ask.

I found out the hard way they do not like fondant in suitcases. haha. If you don't want nasty gloved hands digging through your bucket of fondant...don't take it on a plane. haha.

But baked goods...eh just bribe the security guys with a cookie. haha.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #3 of 9

I've sent many people pastries in plain boxes plenty of times. They just hand carry it and never had a problem. Also, depending on the cookies. If they are chewy and you don't want them dry or maybe if they are crunchy and you don't want them chewy, I would suggest you have them sealed to prevent any possible problems.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 6:55am
post #4 of 9

There are no TSA regulations stating that food products on flights have to be individually wrapped rather than in a single container, provided the container fits thru the scanner (and thus fits in the overhead compartment or under your seat).

The only thing you have to watch out for with food, is if there is a liquid or "gel" component and that includes stuff like peanut butter. I had a jar of PB they wouldn't let me take on a plane - it's basically analagous to toothpaste. It sounds crazy but I understood...I mean if you were a nutbag and wanted to conceal explosives ingredients, you would surely want to choose something that "nobody" would ever think to check...like pb. Didn't they say one of the plots they thwarted years ago involved taking liquid explosives on board in saline solution cans?

Fondant is solid so I can see why it would cause a ruckus (after all it kind of looks like explosive putty, right?!) I'd be willing to bet though that they would not let a tupperware full of icing through thumbsdown.gif

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 9

Flew to St Thomas last month with canned frosting and butter-flavor Crisco sticks in my checked luggage. It all got there, but one package of the Crisco sticks had been opened by the inspectors.

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 9

Here is the link:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

You may also contact the TSA Contact Center by e-mailing [email protected].

The best way to know is to ask and never be stuck at the airport with a product that will be tossed. Hope this helps.

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 9

I sent my mother to FL with 6 cupcakes for my sister. I went to the grocery and purchased one of the 6 cupcake clear plastic holders and taped it shut for the flight. She put it in her carryon without any problems and my sister enjoyed her treat.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:15am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I don't see why not! I think they only limit liquids. The best thing to do is call the airline and ask.

I found out the hard way they do not like fondant in suitcases. haha. If you don't want nasty gloved hands digging through your bucket of fondant...don't take it on a plane. haha.

But baked goods...eh just bribe the security guys with a cookie. haha.

lol Tobias and I travel often with gumpaste and fondant in our checked bags. They are always checked by the TSA. Normally the local TSA asks us what the "plastique looking substance" is in our bags. I told him that we need to get patches made to sew onto the front of the luggage explaining what is in the bags so we don't have to go down and explain everytime. lol.

Irish_Sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish_Sue Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 5:07pm
post #9 of 9

I travel quite a lot with cakes between Ireland and the UK and to be safe the first time I did I e-mailed the airport rather than the airline as the potential problems come going through airport security and I was advised that I could transport cakes, I don't know if this is more relevant to international flights than internal flights as I know rules and regulations for carrying foodstuffs between different countries can be really stringent.

On the day I travelled with cake, airport security did want to see it and wanted me to take it out of the bag and/or any wrapping it was in to see it properly and the reason I was given was that on the scanners the consistency of RI and fondant is identical to that of Semtex so for obvious reasons they need to check what you are carrying (apparently candles have the same problem).

For this reason I always keep my cakes in hand luggage because that way I can do the unpacking/unwrapping and repacking and I know that I won't damage it etc and I know it won't get dumped in the hold under huge big heavy pile of bags or flund around by baggage handlers. I also don't finish any cakes until I reach the other side icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%