How Do I Color White Fondant Black?

Decorating By nielsen4897 Updated 25 Jun 2013 , 4:12pm by gingerssweets

nielsen4897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nielsen4897 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:15am
post #1 of 11

I have white fondant and I want to color some of it black to make the hexagons for a soccer ball - but how???

10 replies
shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:34am
post #2 of 11

I start with coca powder mixed with shortning. Knead that for a minute and then add your black coloring. You'll use less food coloring that way.

jayshunnie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayshunnie22 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #3 of 11

I could never get my fondant black only grey so i'd have to mix black food coloring an some vodka and paint what i needed black until i finally bought some already made black. The more food coloring you add the stickier it'll get and i've tried the whole cocoa powder thing and i didnt think it made that much of a change in trying to get black.Sorry icon_sad.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #4 of 11

I would never even attempt to color fondant black. Buy black Satin Ice. Or for a small job you could buy Wilton black in the multi color package. What a hassle to make black and for that small of an amount - not worth it.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:30am
post #5 of 11

Make black all the time, i use ameri-color and never had a problem, i do like the cocoa idea though icon_smile.gif

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:35am
post #6 of 11

Make black all the time, i use ameri-color and never had a problem, i do like the cocoa idea though icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:37am
post #7 of 11

Ditto to black Americolor ...You may have to powder your hands quite with icing sugar as they do get sticky and wet from the coloring but it will knead in.

cfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfly Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:46am
post #8 of 11

I could never get my white fondant black, and just yesterday I tried making chocolate MMF and then dying it black. After a while it still looked a deep brown, but I let it sit overnight and it was pitch black the next day! HTH

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:59am
post #9 of 11

I use the cocoa too after reading it on here. I don't use shortening though. The cocoa also seems to help absorb some of the colour so that it doesn't end up so soft and sticky And it doesn't quite get to a really dark black until it has had time to set over night. I have also used premade stuff but I had to kneed in some of my Bakels fondant to get it to firm up more as it was way too soft to use.

tasteslikehappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteslikehappy Posted 24 Jun 2013 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 11

How much cocoa do you use?

gingerssweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerssweets Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 11

I usually try to buy black fondant if I need it instead of trying to get the white to a proper black color. But if you only have the white, you could add black americolor and add some navy as well. Navy seems to work to get it darker, and if you let it rest after coloring overnight it works even better. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%