Opinions Needed On My Cake

Decorating By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 36

Hey guys,
Okay, the bride wanted calla lillies on her cake... I told her that I wouldn't use real ones, but that I could do gumpaste flowers. She didn't want them, so she brings me these HUGE silk calla lillies. So here's the cake, but I'm thinking that the flowers on the top are too big... but I'm just not sure where to go from here. Please give me your honest opinion.
Thanks in advance!
LL

35 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 36

I will say your swags are awesome!

But that wasn't the question haha.

Yeah IMO you could probably shrink the topper to maybe 3 lillies...the size is okay, seems like calla lillies are supposed to look "big" but you probably only need maybe 3 of them on top.

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 36

I agree with the PP. Sometimes less is more!! icon_biggrin.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 36

Thanks! I was thinking something was wrong... just needed a few more eyes to tell me what to do icon_smile.gif

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 36

I don't know......I think they look like they are supposed to be really big and I kind of like it. Either way your cake for surely makes up for any type, size of fake flower. Great job!!

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 36

i dont do wedding cakes but i kinda like the size of the top flowers - i like the grandness of them

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 36

Your cake is beautiful and flawless as usual thumbs_up.gif but I don't like the flowers. She should have let you make your own out of gumpaste. I agree with Kitagrl...too many flowers on top for the size of the top tier and the size of the flowers. I love cala lilies but these are not very pretty ones imo....I just do not like silk flowers on a cake.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 36

Beautiful cake! Honestly, I think you could use less on top. =)

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 36

Yep... learned my lesson on letting people have their way... it just totally messes up my path. I think the gumpaste flowers would have looked much better, but for some strange reason she was totally against them. Took a few flowers off the top, so maybe it will look better now. Beats the heck out of the topper she wanted icon_biggrin.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Your cake is beautiful and flawless as usual thumbs_up.gif but I don't like the flowers. She should have let you make your own out of gumpaste. I agree with Kitagrl...too many flowers on top for the size of the top tier and the size of the flowers. I love cala lilies but these are not very pretty ones imo....I just do not like silk flowers on a cake.

Aww thanks! I'm not telling anyone that I had to use a giant flower to cover up the hole I put in it with my finger icon_surprised.gif

mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 36

I guess those big flowers can come in handy sometimes. icon_lol.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:27am
post #12 of 36

you cake is beautiful, but she insisted on silk flowers and didn't ask what size, but i can see that you want it perfect, because you know how it should look, so i agree, when i first saw the holes i thought how would you cover them, so now it's perfect to you liking. and that must make you feel good.

rudy15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudy15 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:51am
post #13 of 36

Beautiful cake...agree...take a few off the top and let us take a second look. What recipe is the cake inside? Looking for a dense, heavy cake that is sorta like pound cake and is very moist.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:07am
post #14 of 36

Love the cake, great job, but it looks like the flowers on the lower teirs are smaller, so i would use the smaller flowers ( maybe three or for for that size tier) and then taper the sizes as you move down the cake. right now the flowers feel unbalanced and top heavy. Larger tier, larger flowers, smaller tier, smaller flowers, especially on such an elegant cake. you can fillthe holes with buttercream and smooth over.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:13am
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaguerrant

Love the cake, great job, but it looks like the flowers on the lower teirs are smaller, so i would use the smaller flowers ( maybe three or for for that size tier) and then taper the sizes as you move down the cake. right now the flowers feel unbalanced and top heavy. Larger tier, larger flowers, smaller tier, smaller flowers, especially on such an elegant cake. you can fillthe holes with buttercream and smooth over.

That's what I was thinking too, I just wasn't sure if the flowers just seemed smaller because of angle or perspective or something. icon_razz.gif But as others said above, even just taking off one or two of the flowers on top might balance it a bit better.

But your cake is beautiful though!! The draping is excellent, and the whole cake is just so elegant. icon_smile.gif

bethie713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethie713 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:25am
post #16 of 36

You cake is beautiful! I love the swags. I agree with other cc responses, the topper needs to be a little smaller. The lillies are beautiful! You really did an awesome job! thumbs_up.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:42am
post #17 of 36

AWESOME WORK !!! your swags are to die for !! And yup, go smaller on top with the callies.. And that advice is coming from someone who's fav flower is callies.. icon_biggrin.gif I just cant get over those swags, great job on them.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:00am
post #18 of 36

Yes, the ones on the tiers were smaller... I cut them down... so now I have cut the top ones down too, and taken some away. Here is another pic. LMK what y'all think!
LL

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:00am
post #19 of 36

By the way...thanks for all the input! It's so nice to get advice from people who do cakes, I don't have anyone else to ask icon_biggrin.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:03am
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

AWESOME WORK !!! your swags are to die for !! And yup, go smaller on top with the callies.. And that advice is coming from someone who's fav flower is callies.. icon_biggrin.gif I just cant get over those swags, great job on them.

Wow thanks! I feel like I kinda cheated on them. I made my husband pick up some wilton fondant just to do those swags. I used Satin Ice for the actual cake, because I like the taste of it better. But I knew the wilton would hold up better for the swags... satin ice likes to tear.

And someone asked what the recipe was for this cake, I used a 1/2 box and 1/2 scratch mix... the flavor is butter.

bethie713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethie713 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:08am
post #21 of 36

Wow! It looks great! Whoever this is for is going to love it! Awesome job!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:17am
post #22 of 36

Thanks Bethie! Delivery is tomorrow... so we shall see! This is my first 4 tier wedding cake, so I'm a little worred about it....

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:43am
post #23 of 36

Gorgeous, very nice changes you've made. So well balanced, and well, pretty much perfect!!!!

mamawrobin Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:50am
post #24 of 36

Now it looks PERFECT!! The flowers look sooo much better. Beautiful thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:53am
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

you cake is beautiful, but she insisted on silk flowers and didn't ask what size, but i can see that you want it perfect, because you know how it should look, so i agree, when i first saw the holes i thought how would you cover them, so now it's perfect to you liking. and that must make you feel good.

icon_confused.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:19pm
post #26 of 36

Good job! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:09pm
post #27 of 36

I like the flowers much more than before, and like everyone else, the cake itself was beautiful on it's own, so neat and clean icon_biggrin.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:28pm
post #28 of 36

the after picture is muchhh better, the 1st was great, but now everything looks in line and much more flowing, beautiful cake!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #29 of 36

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all of you!
Now, just keep me in your thoughts today as we travel to the backwoods to deliver this cake.... roads aren't the best icon_sad.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #30 of 36

That cake is pure perfection. Great job on the flower rearranging. It is also going into the favs file.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%