Help...buttercream Drama

Decorating By evbunt Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 3:38am by evbunt

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 9

HELP! So, I made the same buttercream recipe that I always use, but I usually buy the 2lb bag of powdered sugar, this time since I have so much to bake I bought the big bags at Sams. Everything I read said 7 cups, so that is what I did. I thought it was a little off, but it looked fine, but now I have done a crumb coat and it won't set up. I put it in the freezer and it finally did, but after I took it out it was all wet again.

Is it not enough powdered sugar? If I make new batch, will the cake be okay if I put that batch over this wetter crumb coat?? And, how many cups do I actually use?? Also, this cake is being delivered tomorrow - they are driving out of town and the party is on Sunday. It's all buttercream, if they put it in the fridge, I don't want them to take it out and it melt!
Please help! Especially with what to do right now since I have this cake sitting on my counter sweating!

8 replies
tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 9

Per wilton, about 4 c makes a lb, so I think you would be ok to try a little place on the cake, not the whole thing, and see if a new batch works, if not then carefully scrape and start over, Hth, I think there are other ppl on here with much more wisdom and street smarts that can help too, so hope this gives a little bump.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 9

This is where a kitchen scale comes in handy. I love mine for PS.

I think that a pound is actually between 3 and 4 cups, depending on how packed the cups are. If it isn't crusting, I'd just add in some more powder sugar, probably 1/2 cup to a cup of it.

EROTIC-BAKER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EROTIC-BAKER Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 9

Hi Evbunt

I'm not great with the math thing but I checked out a 1lb box of powdered sugar and it stated 1/4 cup is one serving and there are 15 servings per box. I hope this can help you.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 9

You said that you put it in the freezer to "set up" but when you took it out it was "all wet again". When you refrigerate a bc covered cake it has to set out and all the condensation has to evaporate before it will crust. I NEVER put a bc cake in the fridge or freezer if I'm trying to get it to crust. It actually takes more time for it to do so.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 9

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_cups_of_powdered_sugar_are_in_a_regular_size_box

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/689301.aspx

First says 3 3/4th cup is a pound, so you are looking at 7 1/2 for two pounds.

Second says both 3 3/4th and 3 1/2.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 9

if its a basic butter cream, the answer is usually to always add more ps or more liquid. more ps = stiffer and more crusting, more liquid = softer bc. different brands can mean you need different measurements as well. but, also, scales! being british i dont 'get' cups anyway, far too variable!
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

You said that you put it in the freezer to "set up" but when you took it out it was "all wet again". When you refrigerate a bc covered cake it has to set out and all the condensation has to evaporate before it will crust. I NEVER put a bc cake in the fridge or freezer if I'm trying to get it to crust. It actually takes more time for it to do so.

Yep! Totally agree.

The advantage of being a "until it looks right" cook. I mix it until it's right ... my mixing isn't limited by the measuring tools the recipe tells me to use. thumbs_up.gif

evbunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evbunt Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:38am
post #9 of 9

THANK YOU for all the advice! I don't know why, but since I started making these, I always put them in the freezer for just like 5 min after the crumb coat...and when I've taken them out they have always been fine. And, I said "sweat" but the issue was that they it was doing that before I put it in there (I put it in to see if it would harden a bit...). Anyway, I made a 2nd batch and it turned out okay...This one was too stiff! I've got to get better at the "until it looks right" because I don't think I know that yet.
So, several lessons learned today. But, what do I instruct her to do, leave it out? The party is Sunday and she is leaving town tomorrow to drive with it??? Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%