Need To Make A Long Guitar Shaped Cake But Dont Have Space!

Decorating By granola02 Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 10:11am by nadia0411

granola02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
granola02 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a guitar shaped cake for my sons 1st birthday party but my fridge wont fit the neck and base of the guitar. I was thinking I would decorate the two sections seperate and them assemble them at the venue but I dont know the best way to excute that and have BOTH piece end up on the same cake board? Do I move the neck to the base or base to the neck? Or do I move BOTH of them to a new cakeboard once at the venue? Help!

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 6

are you having a perishable filling in the cake?? Is the neck going to be cake?? Is it perishable as well?

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 6

The guitar cakes are too long to put in most refrigerators. Even my commercial fridge. I just specify that they have to be filled with a non perishable filling and then leave them on the table. Since they are so flat there isn't a problem with them collapsing and they hold up fine. Just make sure you can fit the board through the door and into your car before you start making it. icon_smile.gif

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 6

when i made a guitar cake, i did the base cake and the neck rice krispie treats so it didn't matter if the neck sat out the whole time. i was going to stand my guitar cake upright for display purposes so i cut the board it went on in its exact outline, including the neck, but since there wasn't any border, i was able to just fit it in the fridge on an angle. but i'm with the other people, if you keep running into this problem, just say no perishable fillings on this style of cake icon_smile.gif

jsmith...i just wanted to say, your topsy turvy tutorial on youtube is the best and i recommend it to everyone who asks for a good tutorial! thanks for sharing it icon_smile.gif

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 6

Aw, thanks upat2am! I really didn't intend for it to become an instructional video. I took so many shortcuts with that cake since I only had a couple of days to make it. icon_smile.gif But I'm glad it helps others have an idea of how to make them!

nadia0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia0411 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 10:11am
post #6 of 6

hi everyone,
i have the exact same problem, i have committed for a guitar cake total 25 inches in length with perishable fillings and i dont have that much space in fridge whereas my client has deep freezer so she insisted on this length and size with fillings she wanted. Can i decorate in two parts and move to the board just before 30 minutes she picks up and pipe the strings. thats why i have chosen a design like that, will that work ok? how long the fillings can be outside? is 1 hour tolerable in an ok whether like 32 degrees centigrade?
or may be i can put it in airconditioned room for an hour? please help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%