How Do You Prevent The Top Of Bottom ...

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 2:55am by tony_sopranos_ebony_girl

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 9

tier from sticking to the tier above it ? icon_cry.gif
I just recently made a birthday cake for my sister's birthday (first time trying a tiered cake).
I used the fat tea straws to support the top, but when it came time to disassemble the cake, the top tear tore the top of the bottom layer.
Is it possible that I should have cut the straws a little longer ?
Please tell me what you all find works best for you ?

Thank you !!!

8 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 9

was it just a 9 in cake with 2 layers, you don't need the straw's i made a 3 layer and thought i might put a cake board not good when cutting, if you are worried it might slide you could put the straw's through all the layers from the top,

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 9

use a good crusting BC. Let it crust before assembly.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you ladies, but this is where the top layer is an 8 inch on top of a 10 inch. The cake board was sticking ...
I think indy debi is right. The buttercream I used this time wasn't as firm as previous ... I do believe you are correct.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:00am
post #5 of 9

You can put a waxed paper round on the bottom tier where the top one will sit, but you'll still get some sticking.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:12am
post #6 of 9

ALso, sometimes if you sprinkle a little PS on the layer below, wax paper as costumeczar said, and then the next layer, you should be fine. icon_smile.gif
I learned by trial and error, too! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:07am
post #7 of 9

The shop I shadowed at used shredded almond bark between each tier to make them easy to disassemble. She told me she had been taught to use coconut, but in her experience, she found too many people that don't like coconut, so she came up with the idea of using the almond bark (she shredded the bark with her food processor, and just keeps a container filled with it ready to use whenever she assembles a cake).

HTH

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:43am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush

The shop I shadowed at used shredded almond bark between each tier to make them easy to disassemble. She told me she had been taught to use coconut, but in her experience, she found too many people that don't like coconut, so she came up with the idea of using the almond bark (she shredded the bark with her food processor, and just keeps a container filled with it ready to use whenever she assembles a cake).

HTH

That's a good idea!

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:55am
post #9 of 9

You guys are soooo the best !!!
Thank you Thank you Thank you !!!
I am going to try the waxed paper circle along with the stiff buttercream !!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%