Cake Studio/office Space

Business By tarheelgirl Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 2:01am by Cascades

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 19

I currently work legally out of my home. I'm not ready to jump into opening a shop. If it ain't broke.. don't fix it.. right?! However, a photography friend of mine whom I do weddings with has asked it I'd like to split rent on a studio. I would still do the baking at home and have my office/consultation tastings at the studio. She would have her photography area and I would have another area for my clients with dummy cakes and information. Anyone else bake at home and have a separate office area?

18 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 19

ive often thought about this myself. so ill be interested to hear your replies. Do you know how much it will cost you for your share? I do like the idea of being able to do consultations and perhaps once monthly open tastings. PLus your photographers clients will also see your displays. Would the studio be in a high traffic area?

pattycakescookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakescookies Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 19

I am embarking on a similar venture. Although I know a non-traditional set-up of this nature may not work for some. I had to tailor my business around my needs. The question is does this set up work for you and your clientele. Think of the add'l overhead and if the time and effort to set up a separate studio will benefit you. If the answers are yes, then go for it!

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 19

One of the other cakers in my town does that. Has a building to do consults and store front hours, but works on the cake out of the home. Seems to work for them.

I personally show all my clients my cake kitchen (seperate) and that is also where I hold my consults (I have a small tall round table they sit at), I sort of think that as a client myself I would like to see where my cake is being made. A lot of people probably don't care either.

I would say figure out how much a month that would run you to just have a off site office, is that worth the extra overhead to you? if so, why not? I think I would rather have that extra $200-$300-$500/month if it were me.

Now, I say this because my cleints never have to come through my house to get to my shop so my response may be different if I had to host them in my family dinning room.

tarheelgirl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 19

As far as I know there are no bakers in my area that do this. It definitely would be by appt only and the monthly tastings would be awesome! She is a good friend of mine and we refer each other to our wedding clients. So far its worked for both of us so we thought why not rent an office space together. I live in a smaller city close to the beach that is growing rapidly. As long as I'm only doing consults there and the baking in my legal home kitchen the cost should stay within reason... I hope!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 19

I know that Ruth Drennan has a rental kitchen and then seperate office space. I rent a kitchen and am thinking of finding office space for consults to set up dummies and look professional when I have more personal consults. It is good if you don't want people at your house, don't want to go to their house or meet at a coffee shop - it also allows you to have displays on show.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #7 of 19

tarheelgirl,

I do this and have been for about 1 year. I find that it works for me. I am licensed for a home bakery, but I live in the middle of nowhere, and down 4 miles of dirt roads. I have a studio space which is right in the center of a bigger town than mine (12 miles away). The exposure I have is good, and being right on main street is great. The price that I pay for my rent is the BEST for my advertising $$$. My studio is right on the corner and across from a stop sign so you can't help but to notice the cakes in the window. I love being able to meet with clients here instead of them having to come to the sticks. It is much easier to find. I hold consults, tastings, and am open M,T,W, 10:30-2 and other times by appointment. PM me if you would like any more particulars, or whatever.

This is the second best thing I have done for my business. First was to go into the business. icon_smile.gif

Donna

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 19

I'm doing this starting next month, and I think it will work pretty well. I don't like bringing people to my house, since who knows who they are, and my kids also don't like it that they have to be quiet (my daughter says that she doesn't like when clients are here because "I can't scream." icon_confused.gif )

I pay about $95 a month once we split the rent on the office space, and you can deduct part of that on your business taxes anyway, so it works for me, cost-wise.

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #9 of 19

costumeczar - wow that is a great price, when i think about spliting rent on a place i am picturing hundereds of dollars a month!

tarheelgirl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 19

Wow! Donna.. it sounds exciting! So glad its worked for you! What particular kind of insurance do you have to have? Renters? Not sure about the legalities of it on that end but we are looking for a space within the next month or so. thumbs_up.gif

I don't like bringing people to my home either. I'm not opposed and if someone HAD to come see my kitchen then that is fine. I have 2 children and in the world we live today don't want strangers coming in and out. I'm personally sick of meeting clients at the coffee shop. I'm thinking it will be more professional and my work can be displayed.

costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crlovescakes

costumeczar - wow that is a great price, when i think about spliting rent on a place i am picturing hundereds of dollars a month!

The rent on those little office spaces in office park/strip mall kinds of locations really aren't that bad. I wouldn't want to do it on my own, but if you get a bunch of people in on it together it's not bad at all.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 19

I do this and have with a photography friend for the last few years. I have a commercial kitchen with no space to meet with brides. This way I have a space dedicated just to "wedding stuff". The photographer and I just make sure we know eachothers schedules. I don't meet with brides when she is doing a photo shoot. But, we can meet with brides for consultations at the same time.
It works really well...let me know if you have any other questions.

tarheelgirl Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 19

Glad to hear it is a success for you guys! thumbs_up.gif costumeczar, that is exactly the kind of area we are looking towards.. strip malls, small office and its not that bad in price if its split! thumbs_up.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #14 of 19

this is awesome... I never thought of that... I actually thought about getting an office space to display dummy cakes and do consults only... but I like the splitting part with someone working on the same field as me...

Do you still have to get a permit for the office space? if you are legally baking from home?

costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

this is awesome... I never thought of that... I actually thought about getting an office space to display dummy cakes and do consults only... but I like the splitting part with someone working on the same field as me...

Do you still have to get a permit for the office space? if you are legally baking from home?

You generally have to have your insurance company add the office location to your insurance policy. It didn't add any cost to mine to do that, but it does have to be listed if you're meeting clients there.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:15pm
post #16 of 19

thanks!!! I going hunting now lol....

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 12:37am
post #17 of 19

I consider this exact idea a while back with my sister. She is a very good photographer but it's still just a hobby for her and she decided she wasnt ready to jump in with both feet!

I was looking at having $400+ in extra expenses each month just for my half of the rent/utilities. I decided I didn't want to take on all the the extra work to cover this.

I still think it is a good idea, especially if the monthly expenses are low enough to make it worthwhile. I plan on doing it this way eventually when I am ready for the extra work and can find a rental spot at a reasonable price. To me, having the exposure of a storefront and a more professional place to hold consults and pick ups is important.

tarheelgirl Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:12am
post #18 of 19

We are still in search. The spaces that are most affordable and not very desirable. Found a great location with a perfect small office. A little bit over what we wanted to spend but there was another cake shop right down from it. thumbsdown.gif

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 2:01am
post #19 of 19

I have been seriously looking for a place like this for my business, but I would also like to make it a place where people can pick up their cakes (mainly sheet cakes). I would hire someone to work and hand out cakes on Saturdays while I concentrate on my wedding deliveries. My only worry would be what the health department would require. Afraid of expenses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%