Feathers

Decorating By b-rat Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm by j_black

b-rat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
b-rat Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:44am
post #1 of 4

How do I make feathers look real for on a hat cake?
tHANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS

3 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:05am
post #2 of 4

ok so this is probably not gonna help too much because I'm not sure how to do it. Maybe you can google but maybe out of wafer paper????

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 4

Rice paper is a great way to go since they are a little more flexible.

The way I make my feathers is with a razor blade. First I attach an 18g wire (for large feathers) to a piece of gumpaste that is rolled about as thick as for a heavy flower petal, such as a magnolia. I attach it with a piece of fresh gumpaste that has been rolled onto the wire, lightly dampen one side with water and press firmly to the gumpaste. On a cutting board I cut out the shape of the feather free-hand and then use the back of a paint brush to make the center "quill" by running the paint brush on each side of the wire. I thin the edges slightly with a ball tool and then make marks and cuts into the gumpaste at an angle. The center mark is lower than the edge. ////// These marks are very close together and I only make cuts in a few places so that it won't fall apart. Keep the side you are not marking covered to prevent drying. After the marks/cuts are made, then you can bend and shape the feather how you need and let it dry. If you want to add color, do this before you let it dry. The color adheres better and there is less chance of breaking. Adding several layers of white floral tape will make the quill look a little more realistic.

I hope this makes sense. I'll check back to see if there are any questions.

Michele

j_black Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_black Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 4

Hi! How about gelatin feathers? Just add your color gels to the gelatin micture before spreading. The gelatin is so easy to cut with a pair of scissors. I have done one cake with 3 feathers and two of the feathers I dyed with my coloring gels before pouring the mixture and the other I hand painted. For the quill I used a toothpick attached with a little extra gelatin. I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%