Can I Put Chocolate Chips In Cake Batter?

Baking By cakiemommie Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm by mamawrobin

cakiemommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakiemommie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone! So, I know that some recipes call for chocolate chips in the cake batter... can i do that with any cake? I'm making a peanut butter cake from a butter cake box mix and i'm wondering if i can just throw some chocolate chips in there. Will they just sink to the bottom? any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

6 replies
Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 7

You could do it, but I don't recommend it. If you are going to, then use the mini ones...
If not, add the chocolate chips about 5-7 minutes before done baking.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 7

Since you're starting with a mix you can reserve a little of the mix & toss the chips in it & stir into the batter before you pour. That way they don't sink to the bottom of the cakes. HTH. Good Luck!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 7

You can, but be careful if you're stacking the cake -- dowels like to hit things like chocolate chips and nuts, thus destabilizing the cake.

beemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beemarie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 7

I add chocolate chips to a Mocha cake I make, and I chop them very finely. That way they don't sink to the bottom, and it works just fine.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #6 of 7

If it is a thicker batter it won't hurt a thing and they will stay in place while baking.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 7

Some say to toss with a little flour before adding. I like the idea of using a little of the mix as mentioned in one of the post above.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%