Suggestions On Where To Relocate

Business By Sweet_Guys Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm by Uniqueask

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:02am
post #1 of 38

Ok, this one is going to sound odd, but here goes: With the Florida legislature making idiotic decisions and the tourism causing problems and just our general unhappiness with central Florida, Peter and I are thinking about relocating to another part of the country. Eventually, we would like to open a cake studio/retail supply shop for cake decorators.

Our question is this: Is there a need for such in any part of the country? We're considering several options now but thought we'd appeal to you folks to see what your thoughts were.

Paul & Peter

37 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:10am
post #2 of 38

How about Las Vegas? There are not much retail supply shops in here.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 38

Oh no! My husband and I are about to move to FL in a month - the Tampa-Clearwater area...

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #4 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

How about Las Vegas? There are not much retail supply shops in here.

I think the reason there arent too many retail supply stores in Vegas is because the majority of the need for this high-volume market is being filled by the wholesalers.

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:43am
post #5 of 38

As far as I know, we have nothing in Ma. A cake supply store would be a dream come true! The Cape would be nice but I'm not sure of the demand there.. Maybe the suburbs of Boston? We are able to have licensed residential kitchens so there are a lot of home bakers who could use a studio/store besides Michaels! The winters are horrid, but the rest of the year is nice! icon_lol.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:45am
post #6 of 38

There are so many facets in making a decision to move. Seems like it would be a good idea to narrow it down to a few places you think suits you both and then find out if there is a need for your biz. Make sense? Seattle is great but can you handle cooler weather, casual clothing, liberal values, great food, and awful traffic?

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 38

Paul & Peter,
Please come to VT.

Here it is pretty easy to get established, we don't have a lot of supply places here, and I would love some company!!!

We are able to have home based bakery businesses, and there are plenty of opportunities.

Just a thought.

Donna

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

I think the reason there arent too many retail supply stores in Vegas is because the majority of the need for this high-volume market is being filled by the wholesalers.

That is very true

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #9 of 38

I second the vote for VT! We are desperate here for some cake supply stores. The weather, however, might be different than you're used to...

mommicakes, where in VT are you? I'm in Montpelier.

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #10 of 38

there arent any cake suppliers in SC that i know of.. i've had to get my sister in VA ship me stuff.. so stay int he south and come to SC! icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #11 of 38

Ah, Vermont!!!! My grandfather had a camp on Sunrise Lake between Fair Haven and Orwell. I'm originally from the Albany, NY area and Peter is from the Chicago suburbs. Snow is not a problem for us. In fact, when they go "Burrrrr!!!!" down here at 60 degree weather, we scoff and wear our short sleeve shirts proudly!!!! LOL

Paul

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:47am
post #12 of 38

We do have a couple of places here in Sacramento CA but certaintly could use more variety..beautiful area...2 hours to anywhere you'd like to go whether it's the beach or the snow, surfing or camping. Less than that to get to San Francisco. Humid in the summer like FL but you'd be use to that.

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #13 of 38

Iowa!! We have no strict laws abpit in home cake decorators. We definitely need cake supply places and Des Moines has been in the top 10 cities to start a business in and live in. icon_biggrin.gif
We would welcome you with open arms.
My sister and her husband just relocated here from California. (bad economy out there) They are super happy with what they can get for house and the prices of things.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:36pm
post #14 of 38

Paul,

I have been in VT for the past 25+ years and although I squawk about the snow, and cold weather, there isn't anyplace else I would rather be. (except for about 1-2 weeks a year I would like to be in FL to recharge, but HAVE to come back home).

Really the only cake supplies we have around here are from either Joann fab. or Michaels, we are lucky to be not too far from Global Sugar Art though. (he's just across the lake). Everything else has to be online ordered, so someplace that would be centrally located for supplies would be WONDERFUL!!! I know I would frequently visit. So let me know if you do decide to come this way.

Chickadodle: I am over here close to the CT River. My studio is on Main St. in Wells River. I was actually in Montpelier yesterday, where are you???I know that area very well, (used to live in that directions many moons ago.)

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:05pm
post #15 of 38

You could always come to Upper Michigan. We have nothing here as far as cake decorating stores.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #16 of 38

I vote Buffalo NY, there are NO cake supply shops here icon_sad.gif We can have licensed home based kitchens, and the real estate s cheap!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:31pm
post #17 of 38

Here is a second vote for SC. I lived in Jacksonville, Florida for 13 years and my husband's job moved us to SC. There is very few in the area. I also have to order everything online or go to Walmart. Would love to have you join us.

mmlj316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmlj316 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:54pm
post #18 of 38

I live in Arkansas and we have NOTHING except Hobby Lobby and Michaels!!!! I now ya'll are thinking hillbilly, overalls, and and bare feet but MOST of us aren't like that!!LOL I live in the Greers Ferry lake area and it is beautiful!!! We have hot summers and cold winters with on a small amount of actual winter weather usually. Our area is a big retirement area. Cost of living and ease of starting a business would be great for you after Florida. Ya'll come see us now!LOL Good luck in your search!

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:02pm
post #19 of 38

My husband and I are also looking to leave Florida, we are also in Central Florida and can't take much more. We were looking at going back to Illinios. We have family in New Lenox and it is just a train ride away from Chicago where we are both from. But my sister in law moved to Boston instead of back to chicago and she loves it so now we are debating. Good luck fining a new city!

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:15pm
post #20 of 38

How about Huntsville, AL? Up-and-coming city, so there's not much established quite yet. There's also a bit of $$$ that people have to spend and a real estate market that seems to have an immunity to the national situation.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm
post #21 of 38

How about Lexington, Kentucky. There are only Hobby Lobby and Michael's here with what few items they carry. Really hard to find Hi-Ratio shortening.

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm
post #22 of 38

i vote new mexico!!! we need a good cake shop. The weather is great!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:42pm
post #23 of 38

San Diego has only 2 cake supply stores I'm aware of...that's in a county of millions of people...Something high-end would be nice as both stores are in shady areas and are small!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:26am
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlys

Iowa!! We have no strict laws abpit in home cake decorators. We definitely need cake supply places and Des Moines has been in the top 10 cities to start a business in and live in. icon_biggrin.gif
We would welcome you with open arms.
My sister and her husband just relocated here from California. (bad economy out there) They are super happy with what they can get for house and the prices of things.

I vote Iowa too!! But i'm over in the eastern side by the Quad-cities. So i vote a little further this way. Then you're about 2-1/2 hrs from DesMoines and 3 from Chicago.

The only cake supply stores we have are an isle or two at True Value, Hobby Lobby, or Michael's. (And the True Value's have the best selection because they have more brands than Wilton) I have to order everything online pretty much.

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #25 of 38

Wow! I'm also palnning to move out of Miami,Florida. Can anyone tell me how is it in Boise, Idaho???? My in-laws live there and wants us to move too.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:11pm
post #26 of 38

Does anyone have anything good to say about moving to Florida? We're moving there from Detroit next month... although I'm not surprised to hear that some people dislike it, I'm already having reservations about moving, so I would like to hear something positive if possible!!!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #27 of 38

I think the Midwest is a wide open market. I know that all CCer's don't post where they are from but I see very few 'professional grade' decorators out of the St. Louis area. Plus I have searched and searched for a cake supply store in St. Louis and Memphis that would carry a great amount of cake supplies such as Satin Ice, pearl molds, gumpaste cutters, etc - and there is nothing besides Hobby Lobby and Michaels. St. Louis is central to all of the upper midwest such as Chicago, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana and more.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #28 of 38

Oh, Massachusetts is a great place to relocate. I came here almost 40 years ago and will never leave. I live in the northern part of the state, along the water, almost on the NH border, only an hour from Boston. Yes we need a supply store nearby. You'd love it here.

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:45pm
post #29 of 38

Phoenix

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #30 of 38

I vote for New Mexico too!!! there is only one cake suplies store!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%