Overwhelmed At The Holidays

Decorating By cricket0616 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 2:58pm by DeeDelightful

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone else feel overwhelmed at the holidays? I was just looking at all that has be done by next Friday and I am thinking "why do I do this to myself"? I have two sets of cupcakes ( one to be decorated for easter and the other just chocolate swirls) a bunny cake, a pound cake, decorated sugar cookies for easter and a 3D wedding dress. I have baked two of the cakes and the cookies (froze them), but the rest will need to be completed Tuesday and Thursday night. Let me add that I work a full time job.

10 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 11

I work a full time job also and probably would have only done half of that (although I wouldn't mind if I had that much to do, I'm still trying to get my name out there).

Good luck and remember to take a few 5 minute breaks somewhere in there to get your center/focus back icon_smile.gif

cricket0616 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 11

I guess I should have added that I am not getting paid for any of this. This is for my family. The cupcakes are for my son's Easter parties at school. The pound cake is for my father. The cookies are for a family friend that has called in a favor. The 3D wedding dress is for my brother's engagement party and the bunny cake is for Easter Day.

Don't get me wrong, I love baking. I just don't know when to say "No".

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 11

I know how you feel. I have cupcakes for the community Easter egg hunt, Easter cake for church, my sister's birthday cake, and my nephew's birthday cake all due this weekend. Of course all for the cost of ingredients.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 11

I've been feeling that way all week..........I have a 4 tiered square wedding cake, a full sheet cake and 2 half sheet cakes all due this Saturday and I'm like'........."why did I do this to myself?" Not to mention our church is doing an easter egg hunt outreach (which my DH and I pretty much orchestrated) and I have to deliver the wedding cake right in the MIDDLE of it!! and have to make a cake for Church on Sunday as well!! i can't start baking/decorating until kids are in bed at 8pm. Gonna be a long night tonight and Friday night to say the least!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 11

I usually feel overwhelmed at Christmas because I put too much on myself baking baskets of goodies for friends and family. At Easter, I don't bake as much, so usually I'm just tired out from singing (I'm in the church choir) at all of the Holy week services, plus the 2 or 3 services on Easter Sunday.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 11

You can do it! You wouldn't be in this business if you couldn't do it. I know freezing cakes is not the most popular idea, but I think i'd bake and freeze that pound cake (wrapped very well, of course). I seriously doubt if Father in law will detect a difference. Maybe get started baking for the 3D dress cake, too and freezing. I froze a cake layer 3 weeks ago, took it out and frosted it just for my family to eat. They raved about the moistness and freshness. I wrapped in two layers of plastic wrap, 1 layer of foil and put it in a zip lock bag. It was VERY fresh.

cricket0616 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 11

I have baked and frozen the bunny cake, wedding cake and the sugar cookies. The pound cake...I have tried to freeze before, but my father did notice. The crust on the top wasn't the same. I have tried to freeze cupcakes before, but I found them to dry out some. I wrapped them in saran wrap and then in foil, so I don't know if I did something wrong. I should try it again. Heck, it is only for 2nd and 6th graders.

Maybe I will bake and freeze the cupcakes too!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #9 of 11

Maybe if you bake and frost and then freeze the cuppies they won't seem so dry?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 11

If I'm going to freeze cupcakes I put the icing on them before I freeze. I put them in the plastic cupcake carriers and wrap in plastic wrap a couple of times.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 11

I can just about guarantee you, every cupcake the kids have had, has been frozen. They probably won't know the difference...LOL. I'm sure the cake recipe is better than whatever they are used to. Okay, i can understand about Dad's cake, he may detect a difference. Seems like you've got a good head start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%