Royal Icing Won't Stiffen..help!

Baking By ski Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 3:12am by ski

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 5

I am using merigue powder. 3T.Meringue powder, 3oz. water--4c.pwd sugar. It will not stiffen up for anything! It has been raining here so I'm guessing humity issues, but I need this icing fast! Making flowers for Saturday. Any and all suggestions would be very appreciated!! Thanks so much!

Ski )"

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 5

What do you mean by stiffen up?

If it is very humid there, you actually need less water than usual. You can add more powder sugar or cornstarch to thicken it as well.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 5

If you came in contact with any grease - this could cause the problem. I make RI in a glass bowl with a metal spoon and use a disposable plastic bag and a tip that has been through the dishwasher.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 5

Either grease is a culprit or you've got too much water and need to add more sugar.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:12am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all your replies all, it was way expired Meringue powder. Did a traditional RI with egg whites, no problemo. That of course was after making 3 attempts with the powder..Then it occured tome that most things do expire at some point...last year.soooooooooooooooooooooo I have my end product . thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%