Do You Make Or Purchase Your Fondant

Decorating By Redsoxbaker Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 1:26pm by Marianna46

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 53

I'm just curious because some of these cakes take so much fondant, does everyone make it or buy it when doing such large cakes? It seems like a great amount of work to make that much fondant. Especially if doing it at home!! icon_rolleyes.gif

52 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 53

I make my own especially if it's a large cake. I use Michele Foster's Fondant. It's so easy to make plus it is cost efficient and taste yummy. I do buy Wilton to make bows and decorations. That stuff is great for that.

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 53

I'm new to fondant, but at the moment I purchase it online. Maybe in the future I'll try making it.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 53

I had been making my own with MFF recipe. Then I started to buy small packages of Ice n Easy at my cake store. They had a 2 lb pack on sale for 5.00 thought I would give it a try. Well, that stuff is okay on small cakes but not good when covering large cakes. So, I ordered a 20lb bucket of Satin Ice and after using it I will never, ever, ever make it or buy any other brand again. It is super easy to work with, takes color very well, and no mess and clean up from making it. I just ordered 80 more lbs!

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 53

I make mine! I've only bought Wilton once and won't do that again. I make the MMF and the "old European" for different things. I live in a remote area where people aren't willing to spend much for a cake so I try to save on supplies to make it worth my time.

Redsoxbaker Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 53

ttehan4,
Is it costly? I;m sure it saves quite a bit of time!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 53

Satin Ice for me here.... I really like it and like working with it... I make the MMF for my cake drums though... don't want to use Satin Ice for something that will not be consumed...

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 53

Fondant is not available in my country so I just make it from scratch all the time.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 53

I buy Satin Ice... it's simply more cost and time effective for me to purchase it. Plus, since it's available precolored, I buy it in all available colors and blend my custom colors from there... the fact that I never have to mess with kneading in gels or pastes makes it worth twice what I pay for it! lol

amberc75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc75 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 53

I used to make my own, and for some reason it would do great with decorations, stripes, dots, etc., but I could not for the life of me cover a cake with it.

Then, I bought my first tub of Satin Ice... and I swear when I rolled it out and draped it over that cake dummy I was practicing on, the heavens opened and I heard the angels singing.... I think I may have cried a little.

So, obviously... it's Satin Ice for me all the way!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 53

You guys have me sold on Satin Ice. I am ordering some today. I like the idea of not having to color the fondant myself.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 53

I buy Satin Ice for red and black. Make Michelle Foster's Fondant otherwise.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 53

I've made my own, bought Wilton to practice with or for bows and other pieces, bought Satin Ice and Choco-Pan. I love Satin Ice and Choco Pan. I think each brand or home made has it's place. Some days I just don't want to mess with making it - I guess those are the days I value my time over the extra cost of buying Satin Ice or Choco Pan.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:49pm
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

I make mine! I've only bought Wilton once and won't do that again. I make the MMF and the "old European" for different things. I live in a remote area where people aren't willing to spend much for a cake so I try to save on supplies to make it worth my time.

I'm with you malene541! I like to watch my upfront cost because I'm a hobby baker. In addition, my family and friends say that MMF wins the taste test hands down to Wilton Fondant! and that's enough in itself for me to continue with the kneading....and kneading...and kneading.............

Redsoxbaker Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:23pm
post #15 of 53

jones5cm,
I am also a hobby baker so I see the benefit of purchasing fondant when you're creating many cakes! I don't bake enough cakes so I think making it works out better for me. icon_smile.gif

LeahChristine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeahChristine Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:38pm
post #16 of 53

I make my own MMF at home. I have tried the Wilton fondant and did not enjoy the taste at all.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #17 of 53

I'm like Suddysmon -- I buy red and black (love that black Choco Pan!) and make Michele Foster's for just about everything else. Michele Foster's has the best taste of anything else I've tried -- and I've tried most of them.

I almost never knead colors into the fondant -- I make big batches and tint the liquid in the fondant recipe I'm using -- so simple!

ttehan4 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:25pm
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Quote:

ttehan4,
Is it costly? I;m sure it saves quite a bit of time!

I've been ordering from GSA. Its on sale right now when you buy so many tubs. Its actually cheaper to order it and pay shipping than to buy it from my cake supplier that is near by.

I do alot of cakes and price them accordingly to compensate the cost of the fondant. Not having the time involved in making it and cleaning up the mess is worth the extra expense of Satin Ice

Redsoxbaker Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:40pm
post #19 of 53

I do think that sometimes it is definitely worth paying a little more to save time because time is money! icon_biggrin.gif

susiekoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiekoos Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #20 of 53

Satin Ice all the way !! Love it icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #21 of 53

I buy all my fondant. I've used SatinIce for years, but just ordered a bucket of Fondx. We'll see. Wilton fondant doesn't even qualify as food and I do not like the look of MMF.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:13pm
post #22 of 53

leah_s,
let us know how you like Fondx.

I for one use to make MMF, but this week I covered a cake using Fondarific and I will only use that now. It covers like a dream. Plus, I really don't like the taste of Satin Ice (personal opinion) but I like both vanilla and buttercream flavors of Fondarific.

GGFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GGFan Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #23 of 53

I've used both Fondx and Satin Ice. I love Satin Ice much better. Fondx is very soft and sticky for me. It tear sometime. But I have a friend that loves it. The taste is very similar icon_smile.gif

Redsoxbaker Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #24 of 53

Leah, you think MMF has a different appearance than the Satin Ice? Does it take longer to to apply MMF in your opinion?

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:51pm
post #25 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I buy all my fondant. I've used SatinIce for years, but just ordered a bucket of Fondx. We'll see. Wilton fondant doesn't even qualify as food and I do not like the look of MMF.

I wonder why Wilton doesn't even bother to improve their fondant or just take it off of the shelves, I've never heard anyone say they like it!

I make my own fondant (I use Debbie Brown's recipe). I've gone through different recipes and this one is by far my favorite. I've tried satin ice but it dries too fast for me (I'm new at this and am still a bit slow when trying new things). This is still just a hobby for me so making it myself works best.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #26 of 53

Guys..... I will be making Chocolate MMF right now for the first time... wish me luck... hehehe... I hope it comes out good to taste and work with.... icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #27 of 53

I've been using FondX for a while and am very happy with it. However, where I live, it only comes in white. I started using Satin Ice black and red just recently. I've also had great results with Michele Foster's Fondant (I like the original recipe better) and an awful time with several of the home-made marshmallow fondants, but I really prefer to buy it ready-made. For one thing, it's faster and for another, the tendons in my hands tend to swell when I have to do a lot of kneading. Keeping the baker and cake decorator happy and focused on the decorating rather than on the drudgery is more than enough to justify the cost of ready-made fondant, IMHO.

ttehan4 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #28 of 53

I dont like the look of MMF either. I don't think it has as smooth a texture and finish as Satin Ice.

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #29 of 53

I purchase all my fondant. No fondant recipe has ever came out properly for me... I love the Fondx brand! Used Wilton for a while, but once you try a quality fondant, you won't go back :p

Mamasaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasaid Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm
post #30 of 53

To improve MMF I have added one tablespoon of Crisco and one tablespoon of glycerin. I also increase the water from 4 tablespoons to 5. I am quite happy with the result. It looks much better, has significantly improved texture and elasticity. Oh yes, I add 1/2 tsp. of either clear vanilla or almond extract to bump up the scent and flavor a bit. To make it smell like roses, use rose water instead of tap. Mist your finished roses with rose water and they will shine and smell like real roses! Enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%