I Am Deliberately Making A Cakewreck Cake Any Ideas Would

Decorating By tesso Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm by mama2_3

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 37

be greatly appreciated.

Okay.. here is the deal. My sister and I have played pranks on each other for years. for example: She elaborately decorated her front porch for Halloween. She told me she was going to the store, so i took the truck over to her house loaded ALL her decorations (lots of them), and patio furniture in my truck took it to my house decorated my house with it, and put ALL my old porch stuff on her porch. (she did this to an entire den in my house) icon_lol.gif

so.. now that you know the good natured fun we have, and we really enjoy the pranks... she is eloping in april, going on honeymoon, and when they get back she is having a reception. And I am making her wedding cake. I want to make a cakewreck and put it on the table. (With the real cake hidden of course) I need ideas, LOTS of ideas.

Her cake is 4ft tiered blue and white. I dont know if i should make the bottom part perfect and make it look the top 2 or 3 tiers fell.. or what..

(her daughters are in on the prank, ahh..passing on a family tradition. icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif )

Thanks guys...bring on your worst cake nightmares...help me out.

36 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 37

Do you remember the plaid wedding cake wreck? Doing something like that out of her design would be perfect. So, each tier only 2" high, sloppy icing, sloppy piping, colors waaaay too bright, huge puffy badly piped borders, no internal support so it's sinking in on itself. That sort of thing.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 37

I don't really have any ideas but just wanted to say it sounds like the two of you know how to have fun! Be sure and post pictures of BOTH cakes of course. Good luck icon_lol.gif

Noey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noey Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 37

I love this icon_smile.gif

When we made our first wedding cake (for my friend's brother) they just told us to do whatever we wanted.

We showed up with this:

(It's about 5" tall..)

People were saying, "Wow.. it's so.. tiny and cute!"

We really made this:

I think horrible piping is a great thing to add to sunken/tipped cakes. Just like prterrell said, make sure the color is really exaggerated. The more hideous the topper, the better. (Ours were little stems from the silk peonies jammed right into the top.)

Have fun!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 37

Okay, babies riding on Carrots would be hilarious! And then take in the scam email that's been going around and put happy married Life or happy marriage. Also, I like the idea of maybe making the cake look like it fell and then stacking it up there with a bunch of finger marks and falling icing/cake. (hard to explain, but make it look like you dropped the tier first, and then tried to squish it back on top). I don't know---but that sounds like so much fun! Please post pictures when you're done!!

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 37

Hahahaha I am OBSESSED with that site..read it every day!

and so jealous you have such a FUN thing going with your sister!! I hope u take pics of her reaction!!

My first inkling would be to go with the wedding display cakes where there's bleeding icing and cobwebs forming..I'm sure you could just do a sloppy job and let the cake sit out for a few weeks, then add some fake spiderwebs, etc...

hmm....I'm hoping I get a cake wreck for my birthday since I'm the only one of my friends who decorates!! I think it would be hilarious!!!

tavyheather Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lil_Cakehouse

Okay, babies riding on Carrots would be hilarious! And then take in the scam email that's been going around and put happy married Life or happy marriage. Also, I like the idea of maybe making the cake look like it fell and then stacking it up there with a bunch of finger marks and falling icing/cake. (hard to explain, but make it look like you dropped the tier first, and then tried to squish it back on top). I don't know---but that sounds like so much fun! Please post pictures when you're done!!

HAHAHHAA yes, PLEASE make it look like you dropped the cake and then tried to reassemble......PLEASE!!!!!!! hahahaha

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 37

I definitely think no supports in the cake is required icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 37

Noey you should email that story and pics to Jen, she'd love it!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm
post #10 of 37

You really could just have the "dropped" cake wreck tier as the top tier and the rest of the cake would be the real tiers. The real top tier could be hidden. I don't know if that's enough of a cake wreck for you all though.

tavyheather Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 37

just went on CW for today...there's actually a wedding cake on there today..fish themed..

ahh this is such a great idea!!!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm
post #12 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Do you remember the plaid wedding cake wreck? Doing something like that out of her design would be perfect. So, each tier only 2" high, sloppy icing, sloppy piping, colors waaaay too bright, huge puffy badly piped borders, no internal support so it's sinking in on itself. That sort of thing.

EXACTLY what I was thinking!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #13 of 37

I think you should at least TRY to make a decent looking cake, but with no support and just overall super tacky and uneven and just play it off like you REALLY tried your hardest but just had a terrible night!!! lol

Your sis isn't going to believe you actually made a cake wreck if she knows the cakes that you're capable of on a regular basis!

So you should make it look like things just weren't going your way and apologize profusely until she buys it........muster up some tears too if it helps.....or have her daughters relaying that you're hysterical (laughing lol) just crying your eyes out in the bathroom because you feel so terrible!!

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #14 of 37

let the cake show through the icing...like you stopped at the crumb coat...maybe even let a little filling ooze out. Don't use supports so the top cake(s) begin to flatten those below. Make a shade of blue for the wreck that is so NOT her shade of blue....but have accesories in her shade of blue on the table around the cake. I'd go for a crack or two that you "patch" with thick globs of BC. Definitely some shaky piping and rough borders. It'll be awesome!!!!!!

BTW, this is a bit unrelated, but I have to say that I won an autographed copy of Cake Wrecks at the Queen City Cake Show and it is AWESOME!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Good luck with your wreck. I can't wait to see what you come up with. It'll probably be a challenge for you to make a wreck....intentional or not.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:11pm
post #15 of 37

Just thought of this...you could make a good looking cake and then DROP IT! or Rig the table to fall and it all come crashing down icon_smile.gif

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:21pm
post #16 of 37
Quote:

Just thought of this...you could make a good looking cake and then DROP IT! or Rig the table to fall and it all come crashing down icon_smile.gif

oooh I like this option - then it would really be a surprise!!! She might suspect something if the cake sitting on the table really looked like a wreck.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:34am
post #17 of 37
Quote:

That's the best idea ever! That will have the best shock factor on everyone!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:57am
post #18 of 37

My grandmother was an April Fool's baby. She used to get elaborately decorated birthday cakes, and when she would go to cut - she found cardboard under the icing! That's my only idea. But I like the idea of the beautiful cake rigged to fall!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:23am
post #19 of 37

You could get one of her daughters to be the table knocker icon_smile.gif

tesso Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:53am
post #20 of 37

Thank you so much for the ideas. I am listing them and going to see what works best. I cant have the cake fall. because of carpeting at the reception center.. OR I WOULD SO DO THAT icon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.gif

who is jen? who's noey? I dont know anyones real names on here!! icon_lol.gif I have decided to make the cake wreck next weekend (hoping i dont have to work). So that i can make sure i have time to do it. Hubby says my sis will probably choke me and my nieces for this one..hehehehe.... icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

I cant wait to see what she does in response !!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif She'll probably paint my house pink or something!! icon_lol.gif Yeah new paint job !!! icon_lol.gif

She wanted such a tall TALL TALL cake that I know for a fact that i am making it thin and tiny.. maybe 10, 6, 4 single stack with huge ugly plastic flowers.. and light blue maybe instead of dark UK blue.. maybe sitting off center like it slid or something.. heheh.. so much fun to have and only one wedding..how sad icon_sad.gif

prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 7:30am
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

who is jen? who's noey?

Jen....as in Jen Yates....as in the creator of Cake Wrecks...

Noey is the screen name of a CC-er who posted earlier in this thread

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:32am
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Quote:

My grandmother was an April Fool's baby. She used to get elaborately decorated birthday cakes, and when she would go to cut - she found cardboard under the icing!

My DD is an April Fools baby - I am so doing this to her when she's older (not sure a 5 year old would get the joke!) icon_lol.gif

tesso Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:52pm
post #23 of 37

I found the fake flowers for the cake.. they are orange and black sunflowers..hehe.. icon_lol.gif so close to blue and white it is scary.... icon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.gif

tavyheather Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:56pm
post #24 of 37
Quote:

She wanted such a tall TALL TALL cake that I know for a fact that i am making it thin and tiny.. maybe 10, 6, 4 single stack with huge ugly plastic flowers.. and light blue maybe instead of dark UK blue.. maybe sitting off center like it slid or something.. heheh.. so much fun to have and only one wedding..how sad icon_sad.gif

HAHAHHAHA I would LOVE to see a super skinny cake ...oh I can't WAIT for you to post pics...

and yes, you deserve a new coat of pink on your house for this icon_wink.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:43am
post #25 of 37
Quote:

Thank you so much for the ideas. I am listing them and going to see what works best. I cant have the cake fall. because of carpeting at the reception center.. OR I WOULD SO DO THAT icon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.gif

Oh Shucks!! LOL. I can't wait to see it. You should look at Cakewrecks forums to draw more inspiration icon_smile.gif

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:

I found the fake flowers for the cake.. they are orange and black sunflowers..hehe.. icon_lol.gif so close to blue and white it is scary.... icon_twisted.gificon_evil.gificon_twisted.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif These would look great on a cake that is poorly iced in just the WRONG shade of blue!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #27 of 37

Did you read the post last week about the decorator that left a cake at a venue and had the plain cardboard cake boards sticking way out between the layers....that might help make it a wreck.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm
post #28 of 37

What about a nicely done dummy cake?

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:48am
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2_3

What about a nicely done dummy cake?

That would be hilarious if she thought it was a great cake all the way to the cutting icon_smile.gif She could cut into a nice big piece of styrofoam! hahahaha

tesso Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:42pm
post #30 of 37

you girls are divinely evil icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_lol.gificon_evil.gificon_lol.gif And have such wonderful ideas!!!

Okay.. I am going to make it a dummy cake !! THANKS FOR THAT IDEA !!! Slap on some horrible clashing icing to go with the orange and black flowers. I too love that plaid cake wreck cake . I'm thinking brownish/green base icing with pink/purple horizontal/vertical stripes with light blue piping?? sound tacky enough?

What colors would you recommend? making a crap cake is hard!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%