Delivery Charge

Business By eatmorecakebakery Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 1:32am by tarheelgirl

eatmorecakebakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatmorecakebakery Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 15

specifically, how do you and what do you charge for delivery?

14 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 15

I don't have a delivery charge because I primarily do cakes for friends and family, which means I'm attending the event anyway.

Most people charge a base price delivery/set-up fee, usually ranging from $25-$50 (could vary depending on the amount of set-up required on-site) for deliveries within a certain mile radius of their home/shop and then an additional per mile fee for anything outside that area, generally ranging from 50 cents to 2 dollars per mile depending on gas prices (remember your per mile fee should take into accout you have to travel that distance twice and wear and tear on your vehicle in addition to gas reimbursement).

HTH!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 15

I charge a delivery charge if the site is more than 1 hour away from me. Otherwise I do it for "free". If the site is out of my zone then the charge is $50. HTH

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 15

I charge $.75 a mile round trip.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 15

I am free if within 10 miles of my shop. If not, it is $1 per mile which includes set up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 15

I had a free delivery zone based on zip codes on mapquest ... and the terrain (back roads get charged more than straight highway) ... and what mood I was in.

Rate was $1.25 per ROUND TRIP mile.

This charge covers more than "just gas". It covers:
- lost opportunity costs ... money you COULD have been making on another order that you had to turn down because you had a one hour delivery in the middle of hte day.
- cost of employee .... which may be YOU, but if you're operating like a business, you have to think like a business. And the employee driving the van gets paid to and FROM the delivery point.
- cost of COMMERCIAL insurance to cover said delivery van.
- cost of wear and tear on delivery van. (Just wait until you want to trade it in and they hedge you on the trade in value because of all the xtra miles you've put on it!)
- Compensation for the VALUE of the SERVICE you are providing. (If they don't want to pay it, then THEY can drive an hour in the middle of THEIR day using THEIR gas to pick it up.)
- Oh yeah and cost of gas

So let's say delivery point was 60 miles away (roughly one hour). That's 120 round trip miles x $1.25 = $150 delivery fee. Don't want to pay it? Ok. Allocate 2 hours drive time out of YOUR day and sign off on delivery and assembly responsibility and it's all yours.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 15

I have a delivery change even if I'm going across the street. yep, there's a reception venue across the street from me. I generally charge $30 to go there. $50 everywhere else.

The fee is mostly for my *expertise* in delivering a cake and finishing it onsite. (I generally have to put on a tier or two. Shoulder injury - can't lift much.)

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:11am
post #8 of 15

I charge $30 within a set area and .50 a mile (there and back) if the venue is outside of my circle. The .50 is in addition to the $30

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:22am
post #9 of 15

I have a $20 minimum charge for deliveries in a small radius, and a $2 per km charge thereafter. I include set-up. I also put this into the agreement so that the client knows the delivery cost portion. Many decorators around me incorporate it into their overall price and 'don't charge delivery', but if it is a simple cake, I like to give the client the option of picking it up. But then again, I don't like driving all over creation on my Saturday.

I am leaning towards the idea of making delivery/set-up of greater-than-one-tier wedding cakes a COMPULSORY charge in the order. Still thinking about that one though. Despite the driving, I am happier setting up my own multi-tiered cakes for a wedding reception (all my brides to date have asked for delivery, so that is not an issue for me as yet).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:31am
post #10 of 15

I don't have a set price, I kind of play it by ear. The higher the order, the less strict I am on delivery fees. But even with high orders, I still charge if the venue is more than 45-60 mins away.

I do mostly pickups though....so I guess I can "afford" to make up my own delivery fees as I go along. I estimate $25/hour round trip...for smaller cakes I will charge more...for larger cakes I may charge less....etc. But that's the general price I sort of go by.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:25am
post #11 of 15

I look at the delivery charge as a profit center.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:27am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I look at the delivery charge as a profit center.

Sometimes I can tell by the voice that it might be a "make it or break it" decision for a cake...some people can NOT pick it up but do not want to pay a ton for delivery...so as long as they are giving me a decent profit on the cake, I'll try to make delivery affordable but yet still giving me some profit.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 15

I charge $5 for cookie bouquet and simple cake deliveries within city limits.

I charge $25 for wedding cake or tiered cake delivery.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:21am
post #14 of 15

I charge $35.00 for the first 10 miles and then $1.00 per mile after that base on oneway mileage

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #15 of 15

I charge $25.00 for local delivery/set up on weddings. Smaller tiered cakes I charge less.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%