Cake Boards For Dummies

Decorating By sharlanet Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm by hazelhuney

sharlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlanet Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 6

Here's a stupid question. How do you keep your cake boards looking nice & clean? Am I just a messy decorator or do crumbs, frosting, filling, fondant etc get all over your board? Or do you decorate the cake first and then transfer it to the board? And if that's the case, how do you transfer it without messing up the cake? When I see a fondant covered cake board, I'm amazed how good it looks! I could never get away with keeping it so nice looking! Please share your secret!

5 replies
mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

I am not a professional, but I do the main decorating on my turntable first (i.e. frosting, fondant, paint etc.) Then I transfer it to my board to finish it. They make cake movers-- kinda like a huge spatula-- to help. Finally, I put on my ribbon or balls or whatever you plan to use, around the base of each tier to cover any smudges, etc that occurred during the transfer. if there is any mess on the board, I just wipe it off. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 6

I'm messy too. If I am putting a cake on a fondant covered cake board, I ice it first on a cake board the same size as the cake on a turntable. Then when that's done I move it (cake + same-size board) to the fondant covered board. If its a more plain board covered in foil or freezer paper or something I will just ice it on that and I can wipe off any goobers with a damp paper towel when I'm done.

hazelhuney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelhuney Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 6

its best to decorate the cake first then transfer it 2the board. If you cant place the cake on the board put wax paper around the cake so when u frost the cake or carve it everything falls on that, and when you are done just remove the wax paper!

sharlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlanet Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the quick replies! I usually do the wax paper under it but sometimes I even mess the cake up pulling that out. icon_cry.gif

hazelhuney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelhuney Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 6

Try not 2 pull it too hard, and just palce the wax paper on the edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%