Can I Leave A Cake That Has Cream Cheese Icing Out?

Decorating By drowninginfondant Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm by Reimagining_Confections

drowninginfondant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowninginfondant Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 13

If I ice it then decorate it, it's not due til 6:30 that evening. I can't put it back in the refrigerator because it has fondant strips and top layer... can I?

TIA!

12 replies
kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 13

You can leave it out.. buy why cant you put it back in.... the fondant is ok to refridgerate...

drowninginfondant Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #3 of 13

I've always been told that you cannot refrigerate fondant. I use the MM fondant. Honestly, I've never tried.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:32am
post #4 of 13

didn't someone on here say that cream cheese icing causes fondant to disintegrate? Since I absolutely refuse to use cream cheese icing, I can't remember because I knew it would never affect me. Anyone?

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowninginfondant

I've always been told that you cannot refrigerate fondant. I use the MM fondant. Honestly, I've never tried.

I think that must be an old wives' (or bakers') tale cause I've refrigerated a fondant cake with no issues whatsoever.

But I think I had also heard what Leah mentioned - that cream cheese icing breaks down fondant. Don't have first hand knowledge of that so I'd like to know if you have any trouble in that arena.

Jokerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jokerz Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:03am
post #6 of 13

No expert here but this is my experience. I refrigerate fondant covered cakes all the time and have had no problems. I do not cover or wrap them. Some people say that they get condensation which can ruin the fondant. Is it the humidity in their fridge or how they store it?? I don't know what kind of cream cheese buttercream you use. I don't use cream cheese SMBC under fondant. I've never tried but it is too soft to me. However, I have used the Cake Bible's white chocolate cream cheese recipe under fondant with no problems. There is a crusting BC recipe at http://designmeacake.com/cccbc.html that Edna says can be left out for up to 24 hours.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:15am
post #7 of 13

my cream cheese icing recipe made a ewwwy goooooy mess under fondant. Now I have had luck with using a standard buttercream recipe adding a little cream cheese.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:33am
post #8 of 13

Depends on the cream cheese frosting recipe and the type of fondant used.

For more info, please see this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-660514-.html

HTH

ChucKles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChucKles Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:14am
post #9 of 13

When i was asked to make a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and fondant for a wedding cake i researched if it was ok to fridge, i got so many varied replies from the internet and cake decorating shops about putting fondant in the fridge, some said yes, some said no... one even told me to use something else instead of cream cheese frosting so i wouldnt have to worry about leaving it out ...

I ended up using the cream cheese frosting and fondant and put it in a box in the fridge (it was a very hot week of 35+ degrees C every day) there was no way i was risking leaving it out.

Just make sure you take it out of the fridge about 10-15mins before serving to make sure the 'sweat' has had time to dry. If you do not touch the cake when it is sweaty it will dry with no problems and you wont even be able to tell.

If the reception is air conned then you might? be able to leave it out once set up, but definitely overnight i would be putting it in the fridge.

I just made sure to remove the gumpaste flowers before putting the cake in the fridge as i wasnt sure how they would be after it was taken out.

The cake i put in the fridge was the cherry blossom cake in my photos and turned out fine, the frosting didnt turn the fondant to mush or goo or anything like that, it was just the same if i had put buttercream underneath the fondant
icon_biggrin.gif

good luck

MamaFitts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaFitts Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 13

I have happily left my cakes out except on the hottest of days.

If you do refrigerate it, you won't have sweating problems if you place a gently blowing fan in front of it to dry the cake as it warms to room temp.

drowninginfondant Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks to all of you for your very helpful replys. I did refrigerate it before I decorated it and it did sweat and took forever to crust, but it did finally. I, also, decorated it with fondant pieces which it has held and its very humitd and and raining. I do think next time, I will take another girls advice and just use BC and add cream cheese.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 13

Yeah, a crusting cream cheese icing works much better than a totally butter based cream cheese icing. I've used that once or twice and it worked just fine under fondant and refrigerated. The white wedding cake w/ green ribbon in my pictures was cream cheese icing.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 13

The problem I have encountered refrigerating fondant is when the fondant has been airbrushed or painted on. The sweating causes the airbrushing and/or painting to bleed. The cream cheese frosting that is buttercream made with a little cream cheese is fine to leave out. It has never broken down the MMF I have used.

Good luck All!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%