I'm A Little Flustered With This One...

Decorating By amberc75 Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm by morrisaz2004

amberc75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc75 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 18

A girl I went to school with years ago emailed me yesterday about making a Farmville cake for her husband... pretty normal so far.

Then, she said, and I quote: "I know you can do it, I've seen your cakes, and they're great. I don't know what they taste like, but I know it will look good. That's all that matters to me. I don't care what it tastes like, looks are all I'm worried about. Let me know how much."

I have NEVER had someone tell me they didn't care what the cake tastes like as long as it looks good! I mean, I presume they ARE planning to EAT the cake.

Has this happened to any of you? Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy? icon_smile.gif

17 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 18

I think it's stupid, but I have had people say that before, so some people just want the impact of what it looks like to be the main attraction.

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 18

Funny. Maybe she's just not a cake person.

I got an opposite order....someone from my husband's office wants a cake for her daughter's 18th birthday, and she doesn't care what it looks like, she just wants the Italian Cream cake with pineapple buttercream. I consider myself a decorator and not a baker, so I found that frustrating.

amberc75 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 18

costumeczar: This was my first experience with it, so I was a little shocked. I have had people order more cake than necessary to have the "wow" factor of the big cake, but never told me they didn't care about the taste. icon_smile.gif Big fan, by the way!!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 18

Yup , its weird, but ive heard it to. I heard a girl want a two tier 21st cake for . . 12 people . She wanted the WOW , didnt care what it tasted like as long as it was big and blingy. No doubt the girl will get a beautiful looking And tasting cake icon_smile.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 18

some people (myself included) aren't too particular or adventurous when it comes to cake flavors. she wants the "wow" factor be be on the presentation. I'm sure she's assuming whatever you make will taste good because it's obvious how much care and professionalism you take with cakes by your photos!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 18

Hey, I'd reply, "Oh THANK GOODNESS! I won't have to waste money on sugar or flavorings in this cake! Whew!" and then do the "Hahaha" thing so that she realizes you are making a joke. Then with the same friendly smile, I'd tell her that she's stumbled upon one of those amazing situations where it's going to taste as good as it looks, and you won't even charge more for it!

I have to admit, I'm guilty of the opposite where I care more what it tastes like, but I still like things to look good. I think there has to be a happy midpoint where 'taste' meets 'taste'! (In other words, good flavor and good looks come together!)

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 18

I think one thing we tend to overlook is that not everyone see cakes the way we do. I can totally see her REALLY meaning - she doesn't care what flavor the cake is. To some people it's just cake to us it's CAKE!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 18

Perhaps you could decorate a *dummy cake* - icon_wink.gif

What is a Farmville cake?
Never heard of that over here

Bluehue

amberc75 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 18

Bluehue - it's some sort of farming game on Facebook. I don't play it, so I really don't know any more details. I know a LOT of people play it though. icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 18

Farmville is a game that you play on Face Book. I play it and I love it - it's fun. There are a few CC'ers that are also Farmville players.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 18

A friend of mine (I didn't know her back then) for her wedding wanted square cakes to look like boxes with bows. That was ALL she wanted, was that gorgeous presentation of gift box cakes. I can appreciate her desires entirely, although I of course HOPE it tasted good, too!

I guess I don't think amberc75's friend's comment is odd, even as I work my hardest to make delicious cakes, cookies, candies! icon_smile.gif Oh, and Melvira, you crack me up! Thanks for giving me the giggles! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 18

I've had a lot of people say that!! Mostly brides that want to book me without a tasting, even though I say....you should taste it first and make sure you like it........that's when they say "I don't care about the taste, you're the only one around here that can make a cake look the way I want my cake to look" Whatever, give me your money LOL

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 18

thumbs_up.gif Thankyou - i thought it was a style of cake - icon_rolleyes.gif
Think i will stick to Mahjong - icon_wink.gif

Bluehue

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:40pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBakinBarbie

Oh, and Melvira, you crack me up! Thanks for giving me the giggles! icon_biggrin.gif

MUAH! There's a cake kiss for ya! It's my personal goal to spread smiles across the world. Ok, truthfully I'm just a totally sarcastic little turd that is appreciative when someone finds it funny like the spirit it was said in! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:42pm
post #16 of 18

I've had some weird replies as well. I did a cake for a friends birthday and her mom ooo'd and ahhhh'd over it and then looked at me and said "you really didn't need to go to that much trouble, she would have been happy with a supermarket cake". I mean, REALLY? Isn't her daughter WORTH the extra time and work? I was totally speechless (which is saying something) and finally I think I muttered something along the lines of "I'm glad she loves it"...people never cease to amaze me!

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #17 of 18

I love a beautful cake as much as the next person (probably more) BUT the deciding factor has and will always be taste. Otherwise I would just get a dummy cake (like someone here suggested) lol

morrisaz2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morrisaz2004 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm
post #18 of 18

The other day I saw an ad on Craigslist that said: " Our cakes are mainly for the WOW factor. The cake and the frosting are very basic but there are still many to choose from." After reading the ad, I took it to mean that their cakes don't taste very good. I couldn't believe it when I read that, as I don't really know anyone that would buy a cake that JUST looked good. Sometimes I have a very hard time understanding people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%