Ok, I Surrender!

Decorating By cownsj Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm by cownsj

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:38pm
post #31 of 39

BTW, that toxic waste cake is made of awesome! I have 4 nephews and I can totally see one of them digging a cake like that!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:39pm
post #32 of 39

thanks prterrell. I do think it takes little boys to most appreciate this type of cake.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:47pm
post #33 of 39

LOL I'm so excited that friends of ours had a little girl. She'll be one this June and I am so psyched to FINALLY get to do a "girly" cake. icon_lol.gif I've been doing trains and cars and pirates and wrestling and LOTR for so long and now I get to do a cake that's pink and pastel and bows and flowers. tee hee.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #34 of 39

I did a lego powerminers cake for my 5 year old last weekend and wondered the same thing. I don't really care that it didn't get any comments and very few view and I guess I'm not surprised. It is such a specialized cake you would really have to be looking for ideas for the same type of thing to even click on it. It was a bunch of gray, black, and green towers with orange lava and pulled sugar crystals. Not the most appealing to the eye! It turned out pretty well I think (although my fondant work could have been neater, I was on a time crunch) but its not something that someone would think oh I like that I'll save it to my faves! I totally see where you're coming from.

cownsj Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

I did a lego powerminers cake for my 5 year old last weekend and wondered the same thing. I don't really care that it didn't get any comments and very few view and I guess I'm not surprised. It is such a specialized cake you would really have to be looking for ideas for the same type of thing to even click on it. It was a bunch of gray, black, and green towers with orange lava and pulled sugar crystals. Not the most appealing to the eye! It turned out pretty well I think (although my fondant work could have been neater, I was on a time crunch) but its not something that someone would think oh I like that I'll save it to my faves! I totally see where you're coming from.

I think that cake is great for a little boy. I know he must have loved it.

Maybe it's just me, but I love discovering the new and different kinds of cakes. Then I go and look for an excuse to try out the idea or something similar.

cownsj Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

LOL I'm so excited that friends of ours had a little girl. She'll be one this June and I am so psyched to FINALLY get to do a "girly" cake. icon_lol.gif I've been doing trains and cars and pirates and wrestling and LOTR for so long and now I get to do a cake that's pink and pastel and bows and flowers. tee hee.

It amazes me and makes it so much fun the vast variety of cakes we get to do. In the past week we did one for an 80 year old immigrant woman, very sweet and gentle. Then one for a 3 year old princess, and now the toxic waste cake for the 10 year old boy. Isn't caking a grand thing?

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #37 of 39

I think we need to keep it all in perspective and to focus on who the cake is being made for and why we are doing it. There can be a danger of falling into always thinking about how a cake is going to be received on Cake Central. I know recently I've been debating about doing a cake for a dear friend using royal icing flowers vs. gumpaste. The silly thing is that it's been going on in my mind that the gumpaste flowers will be more popular with CC than the royal icing. However, I need to remember that my friend is going to absolutely love anything I make for her and that's the reason why I do it. Sure comments are always nice to get from CC but I have to remind myself that CC is a virtual world and what happens in my world must always remain my true focus.

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:31pm
post #38 of 39

cherrycakes I think we need to keep it all in perspective and to focus on who the cake is being made for and why we are doing it. There can be a danger of falling into always thinking about how a cake is going to be received on Cake Central. I know recently I've been debating about doing a cake for a dear friend using royal icing flowers vs. gumpaste. The silly thing is that it's been going on in my mind that the gumpaste flowers will be more popular with CC than the royal icing. However, I need to remember that my friend is going to absolutely love anything I make for her and that's the reason why I do it. Sure comments are always nice to get from CC but I have to remind myself that CC is a virtual world and what happens in my world must always remain my true focus.~
BRAVO!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cownsj Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I think we need to keep it all in perspective and to focus on who the cake is being made for and why we are doing it. There can be a danger of falling into always thinking about how a cake is going to be received on Cake Central. I know recently I've been debating about doing a cake for a dear friend using royal icing flowers vs. gumpaste. The silly thing is that it's been going on in my mind that the gumpaste flowers will be more popular with CC than the royal icing. However, I need to remember that my friend is going to absolutely love anything I make for her and that's the reason why I do it. Sure comments are always nice to get from CC but I have to remind myself that CC is a virtual world and what happens in my world must always remain my true focus.

I absolutely agree with that. And I have lots of cakes with just a viewing or two, but I just couldn't figure out if this particular type of cake just didn't garner as much attention as the pretty and cute cakes do. And it seems that might very well be the case, and many people were able to explain that very well. I tried to make it clear in my original posting that the most important thing was that the birthday boy loved his cake. We care more even that he loved it than his parents who were paying for it. I am grateful to so many people on here for their input and perspective, yours included. thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%