How Long Is Bavarian Cream Good?

Decorating By Ellie1985 Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm by lecrn

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone, I bought a sleeve of Bavarian Cream at my local cake store and I'm wondering how long an unopened sleeve is good for? The salesperson at the cake store didn't know. Also once it is opened how long is it good? Thanks for your help.

10 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:29am
post #2 of 11

I'm pretty sure those things are good for a very long time. It's all fake with flavoring to try to achieve the Bavarian Cream flavor but still make it shelf stable. I know that they can for a long time because by the time they package it, someone orders it, it gets shipped, sits on a store shelf till someone buys it and then sits till they use it -- it's usually pretty old. I've been told around a year or more by a cake shop. EWWWWW.

Bella214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella214 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie1985

Hi Everyone, I bought a sleeve of Bavarian Cream at my local cake store and I'm wondering how long an unopened sleeve is good for? The salesperson at the cake store didn't know. Also once it is opened how long is it good? Thanks for your help.

My local store told me it would be good open and refrigerated for at least 6 months and that unopened, it would be good indefinately.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks everyone. Good to know!!!

mkolmar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 11

Bella, 6 months opened! icon_surprised.gif Wow, that's not cool

Bella214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella214 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Bella, 6 months opened! icon_surprised.gif Wow, that's not cool

That is what she said. Seriously, I LOVE filling so if there is any left when i am done with a cake, there isn't any left LOL.....I am pretty quick to consume the rest of it. My boys love when I fill cakes...

mkolmar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 11

Have you ever made your own Bavarian Cream? It's not hard to do and blows the socks off of the sleeve stuff. I personally hate the sleeve fillings, they taste like chemicals to me, but homemade I could eat my weight in.
If you haven't made it before you should, it's really really really good.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:

Have you ever made your own Bavarian Cream? It's not hard to do and blows the socks off of the sleeve stuff. I personally hate the sleeve fillings, they taste like chemicals to me, but homemade I could eat my weight in.

Do you have a recipe that you could please share?
Thanks

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

icon_smile.gif I'm so glad you said this!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:49pm
post #10 of 11

Someone put this link another post and is awesome ... i suggest looking there... http://stilltasty.com/ experation dates on open/unopened foods

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:25pm
post #11 of 11

How does the sleeve bavarian cream taste?
Is there a recipe that can stay out of the fridge?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%