Pricing Sugar Flowers...help!

Business By sprinkleme Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 9:47pm by Loucinda

sprinkleme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprinkleme Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 11

I need help pricing sugar flowers! How does everyone else go about this? Hard to judge the amount of time involved ahead of time. Please let me know what you do! Thanks! icon_lol.gif

10 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 11

It depends on the difficulty (and yes, size does matter,lol). Suggest you try to search this site for previous topics that include your question, as well as all of the web stores that charge for these sorts of deco items. HTH!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 11

I buy them and mark them up about X5.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:17am
post #4 of 11

What company do you buy them from Leah? And do you airbrush or petal dust them?

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:55pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks, leah...I am missing some profit.

leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 11

I get most of mine from avalon deco dot com. David is the nicest person and ships quick. And he's a small biz like me, so I like to support him. One day I called to order and he was home caring for his sick son. That in itself endeared him to me forever.

I airbrush some and dust some, or both. Depends on what I want them to look like.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 11

I still suffer from this problem too.

I recently adopted the concept of a price chart with individual pricing so I could easily fill in the blanks and have the price quickly and easily. I like the price chart. It makes it easy and takes out the personal factor of "what is my time worth" I have a tendency to hem-haw around when I try to decide the price. I want to do the flowers so I feel like if I over price them I won't get that part of the order.

Recently I took two sizeable order for them and charged what I thought would be a decent price and BOTH of them said "Wow, that's less than fresh flowers" ARRGGHH!!!! So now I need to go see what the florist is charging and make sure my GP is similar.

Hope that helps.

sprinkleme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprinkleme Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone! Helps a lot!! Happy baking!

leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 11

Yeah, my pricing backbone stiffened when I realized the florist was getting $7 a STEM for a calla.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 11

SEVEN DOLLARS a stem for calla's!! Now I know I really need to follow up on that idea.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 11

You can get them at www.wholesalesugarflowers.com too - although the post Leah made sure makes me want to buy from her source now too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%