Home Bakery-Legal Stuff

Business By bjklassen Updated 13 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm by bjklassen

bjklassen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjklassen Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:25am
post #1 of 6

Hi, I am new to this site and already love it. I have just gotten into making cakes and when people see the ones I have done for family they want me to make them one too! I have made 3 cakes to sell so far, so I wouldn't say I have a business yet, but I also would like to keep doing this on a casual basis for now (having third baby in June). I also live in Canada and am wondering how this works if I am just making these cakes for other people out of my own kitchen. Is it ok to make them and sell them out of my own kitchen? Or do I have to have a liscence to do this? I don't want to stop making cakes and if people want to pay me it is a really nice way of making a few extra dollars every once in a while, but I am not ready to call it a business. Any advice? Thanks!!

5 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #2 of 6

I live in the US but will try to help. icon_smile.gif

Try calling the local office for where you would register a business. Check to see if there is a Health Dpt or Office of Agriculture that regulates food businesses. I have no clue about Canada, I do know that in most cases not matter how casual you feel it is, if there are laws and regulations in place authorities expect you to adhere to it.

Here in my area, if I sell 1 cake I am still expected to be licensed and insured. Even if you decide to ignore them, get the info to see how big of a fire you may be playing with, know what I mean. icon_wink.gif

Hope this helps somehow... There are folks on here from Canada that may be able to give you more info. icon_smile.gif

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #3 of 6

I live in Ontario and have a legal business out of my house. Where in Canada do you live

SweetieBritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetieBritt Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 6

i also live in ontario and wanting to start a home cake business.. any help you can give me is great

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:47am
post #5 of 6

Each city has it own bylaws, so with that said, you have to get a zoning permit before you start anything. If you go onto your city website you should be able to find it. It will outline everything you need to have to meet the bylaw. For my area I had to be able to offer parking for two cars, and they could not park on the street. I got around that my making my business delivery only.
You might not even make is past the the zoning permit. Then you have to have the health dept come and do an inspection. You might also require a fire permit.

Where are you in Ontaio?

bjklassen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjklassen Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 6

I am in Manitoba.

Quote by @%username% on %date%