Using A Mold To Make A Fondant/gumpaste Person

Decorating By canter101 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 6:22am by dalis4joe

canter101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canter101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:04am
post #1 of 5

I got a mold that makes a person. 3 two sided sections- legs, arms, torso/head. When I put the fondant and or gum paste in it and take it out the seems are rough. That is my first problem. Then how do you put it together and make it look good? What about dressing her? I want to put a dress on her. Do i do that before I try to put her together?

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:55am
post #2 of 5

I have the same mold, I think, and it's pretty difficult to use. I think it's designed to use with chocolate and maybe that's why I haven't been able to get good results from it yet with gumpaste.

I would put the dress on after the figure is together, because the dress would help cover the seams and also because the dress will drape better over the whole figure than it would in sections.

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:31am
post #3 of 5

@Canter101, How did your lady come out.... I was considering getting the same mold.

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:38am
post #4 of 5

I also have the same mold. Very very frustrating. I tried so many times to join the front of the body to the back of the body with absolutely no success. So I got the idea of just using the front part of the head/torse mold, arm mold, and leg mold.

It worked out a lot better because there was nothing to join together. While my sugarpaste was in the mold, I smoothed and rounded the back part of the head/torso, legs, and arms.

Once the body was covered in clothes and hair on the head....it looked pretty good. Hope this helps you.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 6:22am
post #5 of 5

I don't know if we are talking about the same mold... but I got one that it's half andf half the front of the body and the back... we used 50/50 and packed it a little at a time... pushing really good to make sure it was smooth... then I used the clay blade to cut the excess from the top in one smooth long cut... the we put it in the freezer for 5-7 minutes and when we took it out... it came out nice and smooth, we added 2 skewers and sandwich them in between... because the paste was just hard in the outside only, it was still pliable enough that we could work the 2 sides to match when put together... we then let it dry for 2 days... and with a soft grain sanding block... we sanded the seams so they were not as noticeable... then we dress him... it was pretty good....

hth
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%