Help!!! Smbc Too Runny!!

Baking By Normita Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 12:34pm by panipuri

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:25am
post #1 of 14

I have never had a problem with my SMBC. I am using the well dressed recipe for SMBC. However today I decided to do a 3 batches in my KA and it seems to be too runny. I dont know what to do...I am not sure if my butter was too soft...however, I have used soft butter before with no problems. I stuck the entire bowl in the fridge too see if it firms up and then I am going to whip it again icon_sad.gif

The whole KA bowl is pretty much full....I dont know if I should remove half...whip it till spreadable and repeat for the other half

What should I do??

13 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:27am
post #2 of 14

I don't think the average KA can take more than a 2-pound recipe capacity....how much have you got in yours? icon_confused.gif

Normita Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I don't think the average KA can take more than a 2-pound recipe capacity....how much have you got in yours? icon_confused.gif

My KA is 5 quart and I used 3 batches....which was 15 egg whites and 3 cups of sugar. Do you think if I take out half and then whip it will thicken up...and then repeat?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:42am
post #4 of 14

i DO think that you should take half out and work with it this way. i think it then will come together. hth

Normita Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 14

Thanks you guys for your suggestions. Unfortunately, my icing did not make it. It was just too runny. I could actually see melted butter in it. So I think the culprit was the butter that was too soft.

Oh well, I am making a fresh batch and I am going to only make a double batch and firmer butter. But I am hoping that its not the new butter brand that I am trying out for the first time. I usually use land o lakes but I am making it with Costco brand unsalted butter icon_confused.gif

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #6 of 14

I've had trouble with that too - and it never seems to recover and I have to throw it out.

So now, I use cold butter right from the fridge. It tends to separate and curdle then - but, after mixing a while if it doesn't come together - I take a hot wash cloth (just hot water from the tap) and rub around the bottom of the mixing bowl while it's mixing. Rewet/reheat the rag and repeat until it does. Works every time.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:42am
post #7 of 14

Once it is runny, there is nothing you can do. A single speck of impurity will do that. The trick is to wipe your whisk and mixing bowl with white vinegar before you start the process and let them dry. Works perfectly every time.

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:44am
post #8 of 14

I made this recipe the other day, and posted on cake disasters. I put it in the fridge and it made the problem worse. it was sliding all over the cake The only thing I had done differently was use meringue powder versus real egg whites.

Normita Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:02am
post #9 of 14

I finished making my double batch and guess what.....It was perfect. So I know for a fact it was the butter!! I used butter that was basically out of the fridge...and I also only used a double batch. Now I know what not do for next time. It sucks that I have make double batches at a time. I am frosting a 14 inch, 12 inch and 10 inch...uggh!!

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions...definitley going to take them into consideration icon_smile.gif Now...back to my all nighter...making a quinceanera cake for tomorrow icon_smile.gif

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:09am
post #10 of 14

Oh no. Glad it worked - but sorry you have to stay up all nite!! Hang in there!

antonia74 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Quote:

My KA is 5 quart and I used 3 batches....which was 15 egg whites and 3 cups of sugar. Do you think if I take out half and then whip it will thicken up...and then repeat?

By "two pounds" I meant the amount of butter you were adding, not all of the smaller ingredients, sorry. icon_rolleyes.gif

Normita Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:00am
post #12 of 14
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normita

Quote:

By "two pounds" I meant the amount of butter you were adding, not all of the smaller ingredients, sorry. icon_rolleyes.gif

The recipe calls for 3 sticks of batter to a batch...since I tripled the batch I used a total of 9 sticks of butter. So, since 4 sticks of butter is equivalent to 1 pound than I used a little over 2 pounds. Do you think that KA just couldnt handle all of that butter?

antonia74 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:11pm
post #13 of 14

I think that's close enough to be okay. As long as you weren't going to say 3 or 4 lbs. icon_lol.gif

panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 14

I normallywill take the butter out of the refrig. just as I am about to start the icing. I chop it into cubes, so when the eggs are whipped the butter is the right temp.
Cold but not too cold and not too warm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%