Magic Disaster!

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm by Tclanton

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 9

Man,
Last night was horrible. I was attempting to make a Magicians top hat cake for my son and I ran into problem after problem. The cake was 4 9in layers stacked with a 12 in fondant covered cake board on top.

I wanted it black so I decided to try Rhonda's Ultimate Chocolate MMF. The fondant seemed okay, but I couldn't seem to be able to get it rolled out big enough to cover the cake without it beginning to tear. I put the fondant on once and decided it just wasn't going to work and figured I would give the wrap method a try....I was able to wrap it but had to do it in two separate pieces which resulted in two seams (one on each side)...

I also was exhausted and didn't let my cakes rest long enough so I have two lovely bulges. One of the fingers broke off my magicians glove. And once I was done the fondant still wasn't dark enough so I ended up painting it black which left me with a very uneven splotchy appearance.

I am embarrassed to take this to his party tomorrow but way to tired to make anything else. I feel defeated.

How can I cover a tall cake without the fondant getting thin and ripping? Should I have made two batches of fondant and kneaded them together and rolled them out into one big sheet and used that?

Anyways the picture is in my pictures if you want to take a look.

8 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:13am
post #2 of 9

First - I don't think it looks that bad. Yes, I probably would have made two batches so I could make it thick enough to not tear. I've heard (but never tried it) - that some folks place objects around the cake to "hold up" the fondant one one side while they work on the other to try to alleviate "gravity" from tearing it while you working around it. Might be worth a shot.

Rachie204 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:34am
post #3 of 9

Leckieanne~

Thanks for the reply. I think it's that bad...lol. I wish there was some way to at-least improve the finish issue before tomorrow...some way to make it look less shiny or something. I'm afraid to touch it though...i don't want to make it worse.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:08am
post #4 of 9

When I'm covering a large cake I always make two batches of fondant so that I can roll it a bit thicker to help keep it from tearing. BTW I think you cake is really cute! I bet you son loves it icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:01am
post #5 of 9

I think it is adorable. Two batches might make it easier on you..but i think you are being too hard on yourself. that cake is cute !!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #6 of 9

I think you are being way to hard on yourself,it is cute!Good thing is...you know better next time!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 9

Rachie204 where are you in Georgia?

Rachie204 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:07am
post #8 of 9

Thanks guys....It's 2:05 in the morning. I just got done redoing the cake...lol. It looked a lot worse in person. I will post a new picture. Thanks for all your support. I feel much better with the new version.

Tenleysmom~ I'm in augusta...

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 9

The cake is awesome - dont be so hard on yourself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%