Cake Supply Store Owner Knows All

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 11:45pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 28

I went to our local cake store to purchase some items for a cake so I decided to ask her if she has heard of Fondarific. I was telling her about the product and when it got to the flavors she gave me the dirtiest look. She told me that she always used Satin Ice and I explained the I had trouble in the past with what other call the elephant skin. The things went down hill from there where she goes on and on telling me that she makes up to twenty cakes a week and she has never had a problem. I told my mom she is the cake lady with an attitude. She once promised to rent pillars and plates to me, gave me a price and then got rude and tried to change the price the day of delivery. I was just hoping that maybe she could carry Fondarific in her store so I didn't have to order it online. Has anyone else come acrossed cake decorators that are not willing to try new products or techniques?

27 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 28

yeah and they've usually been "decorating cakes longer than you've been alive" or so they tell me LOL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 28

I try new things, but I am also a if it isn't broke don't fix it kind of person.

If I had a cake supply store I would want to carry products I am familar with (or make myself familar with new products) because other wise if someone has a question or problem you can't help them.

This doesn't give her the right to be rude about it. Bussiness owners don't always understand customer service.

Bella214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella214 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I went to our local cake store to purchase some items for a cake so I decided to ask her if she has heard of Fondarific. I was telling her about the product and when it got to the flavors she gave me the dirtiest look. She told me that she always used and I explained the I had trouble in the past with what other call the elephant skin. The things went down hill from there where she goes on and on telling me that she makes up to twenty cakes a week and she has never had a problem. I told my mom she is the cake lady with an attitude. She once promised to rent pillars and plates to me, gave me a price and then got rude and tried to change the price the day of delivery. I was just hoping that maybe she could carry Fondarific in her store so I didn't have to order it online. Has anyone else come acrossed cake decorators that are not willing to try new products or techniques?

The decorator at my cake store is the exact same way! But then again, sometimes when I talk to someone and they are telling me to do something I KNOW (IMO) works better a different way, I think I might get a bit stuck up as well :0)

It must be the quirks of an artist??

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

yeah and they've usually been "decorating cakes longer than you've been alive" or so they tell me LOL

Tooo funny ........ but oh sooooo true.
Bluehue

stellaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellaz Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 28

I have a very good friend who owns a baking supply store and she is just the opposite! I go to her with new ideas all the time. She always has a smile on her face and is willing to help or listen to every customer. I wouldn't trade Julie for anyone!! icon_smile.gif

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 28

Do you live near me! lol
The cake ladies at the shop I go to are like that. I asked them about fondant once and they told me it was really gross (they use and sell mostly wilton products) and no one likes it.
So for a long time that's what I thought, until I made some mmf.
The next time I went in there I told the one lady that I was making fondant, she looked at me funny and said "you're telling me you can make it?'' icon_confused.gif Then I explained it how. She looked shocked at how easy it sounded. Not sure if she ever tried it though.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 28

The local cake supply store here is kind of like that. Unless you took classes at their store, you are not part of the "club". It takes forever for me to get help in there, but I don't do cakes often enough to justify shipping when I order supplies online.

stellaz Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 28

I am so sorry you all don't live closer to me. I told Julie all about the gelatin mats I ordered and loved playing with. She has since placed an order and will be carrying them in her store. We have "play dates" to test new product before she gets it in. Those are the best!! She is always willing to think outside the box and keep the customer happy. She understands that those repeat customers are what keeps her in business.

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #10 of 28

I love going to my local bakery and retailer. They are always willing to help and if she doesn't carry something that I want, she will often order it. If she can do so.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 28

I feel sorry for you folks! My cake supply store owner has not only been doing cakes longer than most of ya have been alive icon_rolleyes.gif , but is super knowledgeable. If she doesn't prefer a certain product, she can give me chapter and verse on why I would prefer using something else. She has a FABULOUS "can do" attitude and is very positive.

Her advice is GOLD to me and she has such credibility that I'd never question anything she told me. (And I've been doing cakes longer than most of you have been alive! icon_lol.gif )

But she does it in a very positive way and is no way condensending to anyone.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 28

I love mine! She is so genuinely excited to find new techniques and ready to order anything. She is so helpful to newbies and to those of us with more experience, she encourages us to network together, etc. Dawn is one of a kind and I love supporting her business. Wish you all had the same experience.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 28

Ok so I WISH I had you all's complaint, I have to drive 200 miles round trip to go to "my cake supply store". Though they are nice when I get there, I'd trade will all ya'll to have one close.

bfranzen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfranzen Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:21pm
post #14 of 28

Stellaz,

Not to go off topic, but where in WI? I'm in the SW part of the state and wish we had a shop I could get to easily!

Becky

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 28

I feel really blessed, especially as an amateur who is basically learning from here as I go. The local cake supply store here has been awesome to me! They are always willing to answer questions and offer suggestions or alternatives to me (all without making me feel silly). They will order in products for you that they do not have on the shelf (yah! just ordered my funky tappits from them) and they are super-friendly and supportive to each customer that I have observed them with.

stellaz Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:29pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfranzen

Stellaz,

Not to go off topic, but where in WI? I'm in the SW part of the state and wish we had a shop I could get to easily!

Becky

Becky - Julie's shop is in Green Bay. If you ever come this way, VERY worth a stop!! icon_smile.gif

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:28pm
post #17 of 28

The cake shop I go to is fantastic, all of their workers are excellant. But then again it's gsa, I am so lucky. Gotta love Alan. I have never met a more knowledgeable or customer oriented store owner.

Jo

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:24pm
post #18 of 28

This is off-subject, but the owner of our town's quilt store is that way, too. One time, I asked her for a certain product and she barked at me, "I hate those." Another time, I took a project I was working on in with me to find a backing fabric for it and she said, in a VERY sarcastic tone, "Well, that's bright." She's very into dark, muted colors and my quilt had beautiful, vibrant oranges, greens and yellows.

Boy, was I ever glad when another shop opened nearby with lovely owners!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:49pm
post #19 of 28

ive two local cake stores Yay for me haha! There both ends of the scale, the cheapest are owned by an incredibly snotty, up her own hooty *youve been to the moon once, well ive been twice* kind of attitude, the last time i was there a lady bought a whole lot of very expensive stuff, and she was asking the lady questions, She answered half heartedly and the shopper went on her way, i was mooching round the shop when i heard the lady speaking to another woman who works there saying ' I dont give a f*ck if she does it wrong, its not my problem as long as she pays for it' . I put my basket down and left and went to The 2nd and more expensive of the two is owned which is owned by the most wonderful woman, shes so generous with her knowledge and just a great lady to have a chat with! Everytime i need something, i now go out of my way and go to the more expensive store because i know i will get good honest service.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #20 of 28

Oh Jo! You are so lucky to be able to shop at Global, Alan is a sweetheart. I would love to have a cake supplier here on our island...sigh

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:06pm
post #21 of 28

Good for you, Caths-Cakes!!

cplfernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cplfernandez Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:06pm
post #22 of 28

All I have is Hobby Lobby, the employees are very nice but have no knowledge of cake making or the products!

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:12pm
post #23 of 28

oh my goodness! i think if you are going to sell products to a customer,you better be prepared to explain it and give tips on its use!!! isnt that the point? the cake supply store i occassionally shop at,is pretty small, but the owner is great and always willing to explain things to me. its great, because i know i can always find help if needed! keeps me coming back!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm
post #24 of 28

I don't have a cake store near by, so I order off the internet but I order from Jennifer Donzt if she has it, she is so kind and helpful, if she doesn't have what I need then I go elsewhere but I will not ever buy from an unfriendly salesperson, I will order online or drive out of my way if the salesperson is unfriendly.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm
post #25 of 28

My cake supply lady is AWESOME! Her prices are really reasonable, and she said "I've spent enough time on the other side of the counter. I keep my lights on, I don't need to make a million dollars."

Gotta love people like that.

debbek152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbek152 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:34pm
post #26 of 28

I also am lucky to have a great cake supply store near me. Ann is the sweetest, most friendly person you will ever meet. She is very helpful and I can go to her with a question or problem and she will help me solve it. If I need something she doesn't carry, she will special order it for me. She is the best and we have become friends over the years.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:52pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Ok so I WISH I had you all's complaint, I have to drive 200 miles round trip to go to "my cake supply store". Though they are nice when I get there, I'd trade will all ya'll to have one close.

Me too! It's almost a 3 hour drive one way to get to the cake supply store up near Raleigh. I just can't justify going that far so I usually just order what I need. There is a small store near me that carries mostly Wilton stuff. They do have 2lb tubs of Satin Ice, but only in white. I like to buy black and red pre-colored. They also carry a few Country Kitchen items too.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:45pm
post #28 of 28

I have been decorating cakes for 10 years now so not as experienced as some but I'm still open to trying new things. I did get her to order fondant glaze and she did try it her self. She rolled her eyes at me when I told her that I make my own MM fondant and flavor it with candy oils. Her husband works in her shop and is so friendly. I rather deal with him than her any day. My mother and I went to pick up some supplies for my cousins bridal shower cake and I told her that I needed foil to cover a 12 inch board. When I went to cover the board luckily the day before the cake was due it was only 11 1/2 inches wide. I had to send my mother to the store to get another piece. She always seems so rushed with her customers even if she has three people working with her. She might have more experience that some but you still have to remember customer service is number one when it comes to business. I would go to the other cake supply store in town but their prices are all lot higher. He charges 17.99 for two pounds of fondant where she charges 12.50. Same brand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%