Preparing Your Cake Pans....

Decorating By blue123 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm by Bettycrockermommy

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 17

What does everyone use to coat their cake pans with, so the cakes won't stick. I have always used Baker's Secret/ Pam type things. The over-spray is getting all over everything. I know that I have seen the cake decorators on TV brush their pans....what do they use???? It is something that I can just buy? Is is a mixture of something like shortening and flour? I just need help....please...THANK YOU!

16 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 17

Home made pan grease - equal portions of oil, crisco, and flour.

You can make a small amount using a 1/4th of a cup of each or you can make a larger amount using 1/2c or 1c of each.

I keep it in a plastic bowl on the counter and just brush it on. I use it for everything I do from cakes to brownies to bar recipes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 17

ditto Texas. Pan Grease = good stuff. Cheap.

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you, Girls, for answering my question...SO FAST! How long does a batch last?

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 17

I line my pans with waxed paper and crisco. I want to make SURE they come out of those pans! I haven't tried pan grease yet but I think I might it sounds good.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 17

i use baker's joy cuz it works for me and i'm lazy

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 17

Leah, yeah cheap and you don't have to worry about it in the middle of the night if you run out, you just make more.

Blue, it will depend on what size batch you make and how many cakes you do. I just made a 1 cup batch of it, it will last me through out the summer probably, but I'm not a weekly baker. You are probably using a teaspoon or less of the mixture per pan.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 17

I line the bottom with parchment. I run a small metal spatula around the sides and then turn it out. Never had a problem.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 17

I use wilton cake release

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 17

I use the spray with flour and parchment paper. I am lazy and let the cakes cool in the pans usually and this way I know they will come out.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #11 of 17

I use the same as Texas and Leah. I used to make 1/4 cup batches since I didn't bake that often, but have since moved up to 1c/ea batches. I have had mine sit on the counter for months (and months) with no issues. In one apartment we stayed in it got to warm and it seperated, but I just mixed it up and it was fine. There isn't anything in it that will spoil. if you have any concerns just keep it in the fridge (I had to do that in the apartment because we couldn't keep it cool enough)

Oh and I also use parchement in the bottom of my pans, then this mixture around the edges and about 1" in (helps the parchment stick down)

I use it for everything, even outside of baking. When I have to grease a pan for a caserole or just so the chicken doesn't stick that's what I use. I love it!

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 17

I'm a Pan Grease fan too. It will keep for a long time...nothing perishable and as leily said, if it separates just stir it back together.

I like the Pan Grease instead of the sprays because it doesn't leave a residue on my pans like the spray stuff does. That plus the cheap factor make it a Win-Win in my book.

I will say that if you use it on a Bundt pan, make sure you use a GENEROUS amount, especially on the bottom of the pan. Every other pan uses a normal amount but my Bundt pan is an old cast metal version & needs more.

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm
post #13 of 17

I whip together:

1 cup All Purpose flour
1 cup Crisco (not butter flavor)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Brush it inside your pans (don't forget the sides) and your cakes will practically slide out. Honestly, the cake really slips out. Gone are the days of running a knife around the sides and hoping for the best. I call it my miracle paste.

I keep mine in a crisco container.

nia0524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nia0524 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 17

I usually use the spray but will try the mixture! Thanks ladies!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 17

I'm a Pam Baking spray fan, but this mixture sounds so much more convenient and i won't have to wipe down everything in the kitchen after i get done spraying. Has anyone posted their recipe in the recipes section?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:47pm
post #16 of 17

I second the homemade pan grease...........I mix 1 c. of each and stick it into 2 squirt bottles (fits perfectly), then when it's time to grease the pans........I squirt it in the pan and run a pastry brush around it.......very quick, easy, and no mess!!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm
post #17 of 17

I am a homemade pan grease girl too!! Best stuff in the world. Cheap and easy to make and use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%