Prayers For Joe Please

Lounge By Loucinda Updated 2 May 2010 , 4:03am by bakermom3107

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #31 of 65

Salt water is not one of the worst things to aspirate. Pulmonary medicine has come a long way in recent years and from what you write he has really good docs and even better advocate's that care a great deal about his well being. Keep the Faith, Lou, and stay strong, for his family has a roller coaster of emotions they must ride before all is done.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #32 of 65

Praying for him and the whole family. What a scary experience!

Ditto about travel insurance. My sister's MIL had a heart attack in Mexico. It was $13,000 for the medivac flight to get her back to the states.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:27pm
post #33 of 65

I am glad that you have had some good news since the accident. I will keep Joe and the family in my prayers.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:05pm
post #34 of 65

Thanks everyone. No changes as of yet today. They're doing IV antibiotics for the lungs. He is glad to be able to talk now, but not being able to move is very hard for him.....

I know the prayers from everyone mean a lot to the family - thank you, and please keep them coming.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Thanks everyone. No changes as of yet today. They're doing IV antibiotics for the lungs. He is glad to be able to talk now, but not being able to move is very hard for him.....

I know the prayers from everyone mean a lot to the family - thank you, and please keep them coming.

May I ask what they think is keeping him from moving? Is it swelling?

Loucinda Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:59am
post #36 of 65

There was the trauma from getting hit by the mast - lots of swelling and bruising....and then the bone chip that lodged in his spine - which they did the surgery to remove. They are hoping that once that swelling goes down and the bruising dissipates that the feeling and movement will return. The Dr's have said he may not ever walk "normally" again, but they think he will be able to walk, possbily with a cane. We check in a couple of times every day to see if there has been any changes. Our son in law is going down this week to see him.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:00pm
post #37 of 65

Can I ask if he is a veteran? If so, a VA hospital is THE best place to receive his type of physical therapy, when he is ready. (and I have faith he WILL be ready, all in due time, of course, not trying to tell Him His job,lolol)

Loucinda Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:49pm
post #38 of 65

Mini - thank you for asking, but no, he isn't a vet. Dodd Hall at OSU is a great place though - my SIL (Mitch) actually was there about 15 years ago after a motorcycle wreck (no helmet) It is odd that both brothers will have had to go there for rehab. They never thought Mitch would ever walk/talk - and he does, he is fine. It took a lot of time for him to get to where he is though, and it wasn't easy. He still has risidual (??) effects (seizures from the head trauma) but that is regulated with meds. He spent a year at Dodd after his motorcycle accident. These are the only 2 sons in this family, and it is just odd that both of them now have had such traumatic injuries. I know it is hard for Mitch to see his big brother hurting and not being able to do anything to help him. icon_sad.gif

Please keep the prayers coming for Joe.

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #39 of 65

Prayers for Joe and his family - and especially to you Loucinda!

Suze

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #40 of 65

Loucinda wrote:-

The Dr's have said he may not ever walk "normally" again, but they think he will be able to walk, possibly with a cane.

This is what my brother has been told after an accident (at the end of January) at work on a building site. His back was broken in three places, broken ribs collapsed lung. He was operated on immediately to relieve pressure off his spinal cord. His spine has been pinned and plated and he is now getting around the ward in a wheelchair. But he has done marvelous in such a short space of time. He was told last week that they might discharge him in 6 weeks if he continues making this progress.

Its amazing what your body can cope with and what extent it can repair itself. I will keep Joe in my prayers right next to my brother.

Kez

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:53am
post #41 of 65

Lucinda - Just checking in to see how Joe is doing. Still thinking and praying for you all.

Loucinda Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #42 of 65

Joe is still paralyzed. Kizrash - that is really good news, I hope he continues to progress!! I only hope this is the same for Joe. They are sending him to a rehab facility in Chicago instead of OSU. They say the place in Chicago is better for what he is going to need.

Please keep him in your prayers.....

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:26pm
post #43 of 65

Loucinda, I'll continue my prayers for Joe and his family.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #44 of 65

Loucinda,

Keeping Joe in my prayers also....It has been a tough few weeks for everyone!!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:33am
post #45 of 65

Thinking of him, and praying for a full recovery!

Loucinda Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:58am
post #46 of 65

Joe is still in Miami. He is slowly getting feeling back. He says it is like when your foot falls asleep (the prickly feeling you get) - his entire body feels like this all the time now. It is a GOOD thing, but extremely uncomfortable for him. He still cannot move, but the prickly feeling is everywhere - from just below his neck and down to his toes.

Please continue to pray for him - thank you!!

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #47 of 65

I will keep praying for Joe and his family. It really is a good sign he can feel!

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm
post #48 of 65

Me too..It's a good start...Hoping it won't be too long...

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #49 of 65

So glad to hear positive updates!!

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 5:50am
post #50 of 65

still praying

Loucinda Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:50am
post #51 of 65

Joe moved two fingers today!! His index finger and his thumb on his right hand!! icon_smile.gif He will be making the move to the rehab facility in Chicago on Monday. Please keep him in your prayers! Things are looking better each week. Thank you to those who are offering prayers or good thoughts for him, they are very much appreciated.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:14am
post #52 of 65

How wonderful!! God is good. Will be keeping him in my prayers.

rosiecast Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:53pm
post #53 of 65

Loucinda, glad to hear about the movement on his fingers. Thank God!!

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:54am
post #54 of 65

So happy to hear there is improvement! Will keep the prayers going!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:31pm
post #55 of 65

Prayers Loucinda. . .there is great power in prayer and faith!

Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #56 of 65

So glad to hear there is at least movement.That is an excellent sign!!

Loucinda Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #57 of 65

Update on Joe....he is at the Rehabilitation Institute in Chicago, intense rehab. He is able to move his arms and legs - not enough to "control" the movement, but they are moving. His left leg moves uncontrollably quite a bit (all good signs!) He doesn't have enough strength to do anything, like turn over, but each week there is improvement. He is in great spirits.....his outlook on the situation is that what he is going through sure beats the alternative that could have happened.

Thank you again for keeping him in your prayers.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 2:58pm
post #58 of 65

great news! i will continue to pray for joe!

rosiecast Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 3:46pm
post #59 of 65

Loucinda, So happy to hear of all the progress Joe has made so far. Praise God!

rosiecast Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:43pm
post #60 of 65

Hey Loucinda, How's Joe doing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%