Fresh Flowers

Decorating By halleyec Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm by milkmaid42

halleyec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
halleyec Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:47am
post #1 of 10

Can i please getsome advice of preparing fresh flowers for use on a wedding cake (i am aware they have to be organically grown)
I am thinking i will have to wrap each stem base with floral tape but what else?
How do i attach them to the cake or insert them?
How far in advance can i place them on the cake?

thanks in advance

9 replies
halleyec Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:04am
post #2 of 10

i would really really appreciate if anyone could give me any bit of advice PLEASE PLEASE!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:03am
post #3 of 10

if I have to stick roses on a cake, like in a cascade, I cut the stems VERY short and then stick a wooden skewer into the flower and then that goes into the cake. I now some people uses a dollop of icing to attach the flowers to the cake and others a piece of straw, the stem then goes into the staw and not into the cake.

HTH.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 10

This might be a solution for you. I have used them on a flat surface with a little water to keep the flowers fresh, but have questions about using them on a vertical side. They are made by Wilton. Hope this helps.
LL

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 10

The flower spikes or insert the ends of the flowers into a straw so the food safe plastic is the only thing directly stuck in the cake.

I wouldn't recommend floral tape just because it may contain latex and other things that are not considered "food safe".

Have fun with it!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 10

I use the same stem holders that Milkmaid does.

Milkmaid, on a vertical, put some cotton in the bottom and not so much water. The combination of that and the stoppers should keep the flower fresh and avoid spillage.

LateBloomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LateBloomer Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 10

Do yourself a favour and get Jennifer Dontz's dvd on Fabulous floral Arranging on Cakes. Its SO good and has changed my whole outlook about fresh flowers on cakes.
www(dot)sugardelites(dot)com.
Apart from being an amazing sugar artist she also used to be a florist so you get the best of both worlds.
Her CC name is JenniferMI

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 10

Hi,
When I use fresh flowers on my cakes I put down a layer of plastic wrap and then some frosting so that the stems or flowers don't touch the cake. I cut the stems of the flowers very short and stick them into the frosting. I usually do this right before displaying the cake or if I arrange the flowers the day before, keeping it refrigerated keeps the flowers fresh.

When serving you can simply lift off the plastic wrap with the flowers and it's ready to go.

Diana

halleyec Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 10:22am
post #9 of 10

Thank so much to everyone who replied to my question

i now need to know if i can ice the cakes a few days prior in fondant icing and then the night before or the moring of the wedding insert straws or holders then flowers

starting to cover the cake now so advice asap would be great

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 10

I would add them on the morning of the wedding, unless you use the little water picks which should hold them overnight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%