I Need Help - Color Flow

Decorating By daddysgrl314 Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 1:37am by cake-angel

daddysgrl314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daddysgrl314 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 3

im using color flow for the first time and i was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions i would really like the cake to come out looking like i at least have a clue of what im doing LOL im doing a snow white theme for my 3 year old and im going to do the 7 dwarfs also any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated thanks ~~ GINA ~~ icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 3

I have used color flow a couple times and did not have much sucess with it! So I would not be much help! I like to use royal icing or choc for make images. You can even get white choc and color it! I love it!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 1:37am
post #3 of 3

Color flow is actually pretty easy. You need to prepare your template by securing it to a rigid surface (I like the back side of a cookie sheet the best) that you won't need to use for a few days. You should allow at least 48 hours dry time for most pieces - larger pieces will take longer. Tape waxed paper over top of the templates and then pipe your outlines with full strength colorflow (should be about the consistanct of toothpaste from a tube). Make sure you have a bit of water and a soft bristled decorators brush to touch up spots in your outline where there is a break or you need to smooth down a point. Be very gentle and use very little water as water will dissolve the outline quickly if you use too much. Once your outline is finished thin your colorflow down until it takes a full count of ten seconds for a drop of colorflow to disappear back into the mixture. I suggest working one color at a time and using parchment bags for the flow in process. Make sure to pipe a few test puddles that are a similar size to largest part of your piece. you can use them to check how dry they are getting without disturbing your piece before it is ready. Here is a link to the wilton instructions.

http://www.wilton.com/technique/Color-Flow-Decorations

I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%