Material Covered And Gathered Cake Bases?

Decorating By Chippi Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 12:18am by superstar

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:46am
post #1 of 7

Hi CC'ers icon_smile.gif

I would love to know how to do this. I have seen a lot of cakes done this way. Here is a link to one. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1610555
If I were to do it without instructions I would use a styrofoam cake dummie or any desired shaped styro and hot glue the gathers into the center? But I don't like guessing and need your expertise advice please. Where else can you get such great advice??? icon_smile.gif

Thanks~Chippi

6 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:02am
post #2 of 7

I have this one in my favs:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/559342164XIfVAw

In case the link doesn't come through, it is home - and - garden . web shots . com/album/559342164XIfVAw
(take out all the spaces)
The webshots page is abbyniemeier's.

ramacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramacake Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:06am
post #3 of 7

We make bases like this all the time. We use a block of styrofoam for the main support. Then put a half inch thick cardboard on the top and bottom. It's called triple wall cardboard. We use Elmer's glue to attach the boards. That works better than hot glue because it dosent melt the foam. Let this dry for at least a day or overnight. Then we use a staple gun to attach the fabric on the top and bottom. It takes a lot more fabric than you think, so be sure you have plenty. If you want to light the base, then wrap little white christmas lights around the styrofoam and leave an opening in the fabric in the back for the cord to come out. They look really cool when they are lit.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Chippi Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:48am
post #4 of 7

Thank you both so much for the instructions! Appreciate your help very much!

Rama.......wow your wedding cakes are breath taking! I am doing my best friend daughters wedding cake for her. I saw online the individual one time use lights that you can insert in and around the gumpaste flowers. They are a lil expensive but I'm going all out on this wedding cake for her. Never thought of putting lights under the base material! Thanks for the advice again.

Wish you both lots of Happy Baking! Your work is impeccable!

Chippi

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 6:34am
post #5 of 7

I was going to suggest my tutorial in webshots but I see I was beat to it. Just a little trivia- my uncle was abbyniemeier. I made the webshots site when I did an estate sale for him. My cousins could then all see the items up for auction. After the auction, I changed the site to tutorials for my "sweet" cake friends. Didn't figure that my customers needed to see all the "tricks" of the trade so I have a separate site with my cake pictures posted for them.

Rama's lighted bases are beautiful. She is a wonderful and talented cake decorator.

Chippi Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramacake

We make bases like this all the time. We use a block of styrofoam for the main support. Then put a half inch thick cardboard on the top and bottom. It's called triple wall cardboard. We use Elmer's glue to attach the boards. That works better than hot glue because it dosent melt the foam. Let this dry for at least a day or overnight. Then we use a staple gun to attach the fabric on the top and bottom. It takes a lot more fabric than you think, so be sure you have plenty. If you want to light the base, then wrap little white christmas lights around the styrofoam and leave an opening in the fabric in the back for the cord to come out. They look really cool when they are lit.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Would it be cheaper for the bride for me to make this or rent a silver cake stand do you know by any chance?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 12:18am
post #7 of 7

sewsweet2, your tutorial is so clear, thank you for that. I have often wondered exactly how those bases were made.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%