How Long Can I Store My Cake In The Fridge?

Decorating By gimmesugar Updated 16 Feb 2013 , 10:08am by MoonbeamStarr

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:05am
post #1 of 10

I'm making a butter cake with buttercream icing on Sunday night and it'll be eaten on Saturday, about 6 days later. The person will be taking it with them on a trip on Monday. Will it be alright if it stays in the fridge in it's cake box (we're going to seal it with tape) for 6 days until serving? I'm too scared to tell the person to freeze it because I'll be airbrushing pictures on it.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

9 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:14am
post #2 of 10

As long as you bake it really fresh (as soon as possible before giving it) it should be fine! I mean it might dry out a little bit but I think the fondant will keep it pretty fresh. Then just make sure they serve it at room temp.

gimmesugar Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #3 of 10

What if it only has buttercream, no fondant? Do you think a butter cake with buttercream frosting will keep at room temp in a cake box for a week? Or better to keep in the fridge?

Thanks!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:18am
post #4 of 10

Oh okay....I'd keep it in the fridge, probably....

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:25am
post #5 of 10

The cake will not taste as good and it may be "wet" tasting and the icing may break off with the moisture accumulating under it. It is a risk.

gimmesugar Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #6 of 10

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm getting a little nervous about it now though. I've eaten birthday cake for up to a week that's kept in the fridge but it was store-bought, if that's makes any difference (extra preservatives, etc.).

I would think it would be alright in the fridge in a cake box. Anyone have personal experience doing this before? White cake with buttercream kept in the fridge for one week before serving?

Thanks!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:53am
post #7 of 10

i had this a few weeks back, and my cake and buttercream dried out completely, it was only in the fridge for 4 days but by then the buttercream was just crumbling off the cake

gimmesugar Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #8 of 10

Was it a meringue-based BC or the shortening/butter BC? Would you recommend that I freeze it after I decorate it and the bring it to room temp on the day of serving? It's a small two-tiered cake with BC, fondant cutouts and airbrushed art. Haha (nervous laughter)... I'm starting to get a little freaked out now!

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #9 of 10

I wouldn't recommend it, the icing will break off in pieces and cake will be dry and crumbly. Sorry.

MoonbeamStarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoonbeamStarr Posted 16 Feb 2013 , 10:08am
post #10 of 10

I had just read your question about the buttercream frosting, the next site I went to says to mix baking soda I believe it was....so I came back to share, hope it works/worked out

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/displaying-cakes/storing-cakes.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%