Curley-Q's From Floral Wire?

Decorating By Wandootie Updated 15 Mar 2010 , 4:22am by catlharper

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys!

I was asked today to make a cake and cake the "Curley-Q's" with the balls of fondant as part of the decoration. I havee used very little in the past...the white floral wire from Wal Mart, but it's only 18 guage and does not stand up very well. What are you guys using and where are you buying it? Just curious, of course. The only white floral wire I can find is at Wal Mart and is very flimsey.

Any help will be extremely always!



4 replies
mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 5

I use the stainless craft wire from Micheals Craft store, our Walmart does have it. It comes already cut into like 1ft sections. I like 18g or larger. also insert them into a stir stick fill will royal icing them into the cake. wire is not food safe. and it helps them stand.

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 5

Thanks...I've only used them a very few times and the were so flimbsey...I thought maybe I was just having a hard day with it. I'll be the RI and stir sticks a try.



jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 5

I have used 20 gauge, but I prefer 18 gauge.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #5 of 5

I prefer 20g for this treatment. Also, remember to get some coffee stirrer straws so you can put the wire into the straw before inserting it into the cake. The wire is not food safe and should not touch the food. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%