Help With This Martha Stewart Cake

Decorating By iamcakin Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm by Stitches

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:47am
post #1 of 14

I have a bride who thinks she want this cake.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/a-different-stripe

Has anybody done one? It has no icing icon_confused.gif , so I'm thinking it must be brushed with simple syrup to keep it from drying out, right?
How would you do these very thin layers?? I'm just really not "feeling" this cake...

Thanks for your help!

13 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:54am
post #2 of 14

If you scroll down toward the bottom of the page showing the cakes and click on the coconut pound cake it takes you to the recipe and how it is accomplished. I hope this helps you with figuring it all out and good luck.
evelyn

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 14

That's a very cool looking cake but, wow, there is absolutely nothing to distract from even the slightest imperfection.

iamcakin Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 14

My thoughts, exactly icon_surprised.gif !
And even if, by some miracle, it looked like this when finished, the sliced pieces would not - at least mine would not...and being such thin layers, I think they would not hold together. Just say no, really!

I wonder if the cake in the photo is really cake, or just a display.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if the cake in the photo is really cake, or just a display.

Yeah, it's probably not even real food.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 14

Not only that, the outside slices would be so stale by the time it was served. UGH!

Jemoiselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jemoiselle Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 14

Oh my goodness gracious! Yeppers, I would pass on this one using the "I am not confident making that" card hehe. Brides are tough enough an animal to scare me away from ever doing wedding cakes. I don't know if I would want to meet the bride that wants this for her cake! Whew! Then again, my very own Husband HATES cheese on his burgers, cardinal sin #2 for me hehe! And I suppose I like him just a little! =P OK, maybe a lot.

Let us know how it turns out either way!

iamcakin Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:54pm
post #8 of 14

Yep, no thanks for me!

I really appreciate knowing I'm not the only one who thinks this is NOT a good idea!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:04pm
post #9 of 14

I don't think it would be that hard to get even layers, but you would need to use a cake leveler to do it. But agree with the others on why you would want to, the cake is bound to be dry as dust by the time it came to eating it. It is one time in your life you can justify going for something more grand in terms of decoration, why not go for it? This cake just look like it would be a elegant cake for a Sunday buffet, or for a baby shower.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:11pm
post #10 of 14

sometimes I just hate Martha don't you? lol It's a very beautiful cake........I read through the directions and it appears that the whole cake is coated in a curd! so that WOULD keep it from drying out but I can't even envision doing a cake like this......I would definitely have no problem telling a bride NO WAY unless you just make it worth your while and quote her like $25/serv. or something!

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 14

If you decide to do it, you should remind the bride that the cake shown in this pic is very likely a display cake, and that a real, fresh cake will probably look very different. Also, as others have said, explain how dry this cake would be. That alone should help her to change her mind.

Maybe you could offer her an iced alternative, like stacking individually colored fondant covered layers to achieve the same visual effect.

Good luck!

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:00am
post #12 of 14

I don't think that this cake is unreasonable. It says on martha's site that there is curd in between each layer which would definetly help with the dryness. Also, simple syrup on each layer would also do the same. As long as you aren't making the cake more than 8-10 hours ahead of time, this shouldn't be a big problem. If necessary, and if time allows, I wouldn't say no right away, try it out first, and cut into it at different time intervals to see how dry it actually is, and maybe what you can do to fix it. My motto is...try something new...you may surprise yourself.

iamcakin Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:29pm
post #13 of 14

She's choosing a different design thumbs_up.gif .

Thanks everybody for your replies and opinions.
CC is the best!

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 14

Technically I do cakes like this all the time, but their smaller and called petite fours.

The way to perfect the height of each layer is to bake a thicker cake and use the agby (I hope I got that right) cake leveler. It's a wonderful tool, although not cheap....but I use it so much it's a great investment. I torte full sheet cake sized cakes out of any flavor, even carrot cake and this leveler cuts perfectly.

Then you stack all your perfect height layers together and at last you cut off your edges (do this while the cake is cold). That exposes your perfect layers. It takes so practice to cut perfectly vertical edges, but if you use a template and your careful it can be done. AND it is easier to do then frosting a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%