Baking Question

Decorating By Tiers_Of_Joy Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm by prterrell

Tiers_Of_Joy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiers_Of_Joy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 10

I think this would classify as a "how do I?" post...

I have an order for 4 12x18 sheet cakes coming up. I do this from home using a regular old electric stove/oven. I recently bought more sheet cake pans, but I'm wondering if I would be able to bake 2 at a time in my oven. One takes up a lot of space and if I put two in there on separate racks one on top of the other, will they both bake properly?? I'm not willing to risk it for an order and risk wasting the ingredients and time; but it sure would be nice to be able to bake two layers at a time!!!

What do you think?

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 10

You should be able to bake 2 at a time, just make sure you rotate them from one rack to another half-way through the baking time.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 10

I would personally bake seperate. I would not take them out halfway to rotate. You change the oven temp. when doing this. This can cause your cakes to "fall" or ""dip" in the middle due to the sudden temp. change.

Just my opinion.......=)

Take Care,

Tiers_Of_Joy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiers_Of_Joy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 10

I was worried about rotating halfway thru too. I've had cakes fall just from "peaking" at them by opening the oven door before they were baked long enough. I don't think I want to chance disrupting them like that. Is there any chance they would bake two at a time with no rotating, you (all) suppose?

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 10

I am not sure. Sorry. Hopefully someone on here has done this. If not, the only way to find out is go a "test" bake and see.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 10

I've never done it myself either, but I would be scared of the cakes falling from the sudden temperature too. If the pans were on different racks, they definitely wouldn't cook evenly. Definitely frustrating, but that's life I guess.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 10

We had a major power outage one time and I was in the middle of baking a couple smaller round cakes. I quickly ran to our travel trailer and turned on the oven. The (in the rain) ran with the hot cakes and pans to the trailer and finished the baking. I didn't have any issues!! They worked fine but I wonder if it was because they were over half way done to begin with. I only had about 10-15 minutes left tops! ????

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 10

Please, people. This is not brain surgery. Of course you can open the oven door enough to rotate the pans. Be quick, but yes, you can absloutely, positively do it.

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 10

I would not do them both at once. Do one at a time, start a couple weeks early if you need to, and freeze them.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 10

I have been baking cakes on 2 racks, rotating racks and turning the pans 180 deg half way through cooking for years and have never had a cake fall (well, not for that reason, anyway, ask me how I know too much leavening makes a cake dense icon_biggrin.gif).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%