Can I Sell Cakes Out Of My Home?

Business By maxmorgan Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 3:41am by catlharper

maxmorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxmorgan Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 3

I would like to start a cake business and I am in California. I have a clean kitchen in my home and all of the supplies that I need; but now I just want to make sure I do everything the right way. I understand I need a health license and maybe insurance? Can someone give me some ideas? Thanks for your help in advance!

2 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 3

Nope, CA and TX are the two hardest states. You won't be able to do it out of your home, and for some reason I thought I read in CA they don't even want you to rent a kitchen but I'm not sure about that.

Start with your local Health Department and they can let you know what you need to do so you can do it legally.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 3

I'm in CA and nope, you can not have a home baking business. You have to get licensed and either rent a kitchen or open a shop. I rent a kitchen. Basically I'm working on several cakes at one time in order to spread the fee out over several contracts in order to afford it. SIGH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%