How Do I Make A Gumpaste Tiara/crown

Decorating By sdoly Updated 10 Jan 2014 , 7:17pm by AmbitiousBeginner

sdoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdoly Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 13

I am looking to make a gumpaste or fondant tiara/crown for a 1st birthday cake and I don't want do make it with RI. Does anyone have any suggestions or a template I could use? I am horrible with drawing so kind of hard to draw one out myself.

Thank you sooo very much for any help in advance!!

12 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 13

Here are the directions I have shared here - you can get a template in the galleries on here, just look in the template section! If you have any questions, just ask!

Gumpaste Tiara

1.  I use all gumpaste (not colored) to make them that way I can paint them whatever color I want when I am done. When I do paint them, I use the amiericolor sheen paints, they give a nice sparkle to the finished tiara. Have the gumpaste ready, and make some gumglue (put a small piece of gumpaste in a container and add some water (1/4 t. of gumpaste to about 1 tablespoon of water) that is the gumglue.
2.  I use the Makins green T extruder to make the ropes but you can roll them by hand just use something like a fondant smoother to roll the rope back and forth to get it nice and the same thickness that works. The more pressure you use with the smoother on the rope, the skinnier it makes it.
3.  Get a small oatmeal canister (or a jar/can about that size 12around) Tape the template of the tiara on there, make sure the bottom edge of the pattern is close to the bottom of the canister. (I get the templates from that section of the gallery on CC) then tape a piece of wax paper on top of the template. I then lightly grease the wax paper with shortning that helps the gumpaste stick to the surface some.
4.  Knead your gumpaste till very smooth I knead in some shorting to help it come out of the extruder better. I also lightly grease the inside of the barrel of the extruder. Load the gumpaste and use which ever die you want for the parts of the tiara.
5.  Now, making the ropes, I look at the template, and I make each rope long enough that it can be cut in half so that each side has the exact length of rope that way both sides stay symmetrical. I just work in sections, do one side of the design, then the other. I also lay the oatmeal canister on its side kind of leaning on a folded up towel so that it helps keep the pieces where they are supposed to be.
6.  AT EACH intersection, I use the gumglue just a dot or two of it. It will meld with the gumpaste and help hold it all together when it is dry.
7.  When you have all the pieces made and set on the template, make one more rope only make it a lot thicker than the others. You want it as long as the whole bottom edge of the tiara lay it at the very bottom edge and put gumglue everywhere there is a piece of rope this is the bottom of the tiara. (look at my pics, you can see what I mean) This is why I want the template bottom near the bottom of the oatmeal canister so that bottom edge is at the bottom of the canister when it is setting upright.
8.  Now just let it dry. It will take a day or so. After it seems dry, gently remove the wax paper (with the template on it) from the canister I cut the tape, and lift the oatmeal canister out of the way then gently peel the wax paper off the back of the tiara, and let it dry again just setting there.
9.  Now it is ready to paint! Just paint it whatever color you want and let it dry and you are done.
LL

sdoly Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 13

These are awesome!! Thank you sooooo much!!!

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 13

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

sdoly Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 13

Loucinda..is there a template of the tiara in your 1st picture....I really love the design!!

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 13

Yes, but I didn't follow it exactly - I will pull it up.
LL

sdoly Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks again...you are awsome!!!!

Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 13

You're welcome! icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Sep 2012 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 13

I know this is an old thread but I just found. Awesome thank you Loucinda!!!

mhin14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhin14 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 8:53am
post #10 of 13

this is really a big help. icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you again!

everyone deserves a sweet life!

cakesbykathys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykathys Posted 18 Sep 2013 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 13

you  have been a great help thank you for sharing

AnnieBeeVee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieBeeVee Posted 19 Dec 2013 , 3:04pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda 

Here are the directions I have shared here - you can get a template in the galleries on here, just look in the template section! If you have any questions, just ask!

Just wanted to add my thanks for these great instructions. I had a good idea of how to do this, but was a bit nervous making my first tiara. These were both very helpful, and also boosted my confidence level. THANK YOU!! My cake turned out pretty well, and the customer was very pleased (I think!).

There are a few good "tiara" threads out there, so thanks also to the other people who have taken the time to write techniques and tips, and for sharing templates and designs, this is such a great community!

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 10 Jan 2014 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 13

Athis is exactly what I was looking for! just one question:

would this work with modeling chocolate? my kids always want to eat everything on the cake, so it would be nice if the crown was edible, but Even more important is that it not fall apart!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%